ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

WhatsApp - is it really 2012?

(1/1)

phitsc:
WhatsApp is really popular here in Switzerland. But what these guys are doing is not only embarrassing, it's becoming suicide.

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/WhatsApp-threatens-legal-action-against-API-developers-1716912.html

The preceding article in German is even more concrete on the matter: apparently, it's not possible to cancel your account with WhatsApp (users report that the function to close the account in the app seems to do nothing), but once you have an account everyone that has your phone number and IMEI or MAC (depending on Android or iPhone) can send messages pretending to be you, even after you've uninstalled the app!

Renegade:
40hz should chime in here. He's posted relevant things in other threads that would apply here.

For the not being able to quit your account... That's a general problem. Someone posted a link to a site that monitors that stuff, and I don't remember it sufficiently to search or find the link. Hopefully someone can link that here.

As for my other comments, well, I'm most of the way through a bottle, so I'll just shut up and leave people in peace. :D :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version