topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 7:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: WhatsApp - is it really 2012?  (Read 1963 times)

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WhatsApp - is it really 2012?
« on: September 25, 2012, 10:04 AM »
WhatsApp is really popular here in Switzerland. But what these guys are doing is not only embarrassing, it's becoming suicide.

http://www.h-online....elopers-1716912.html

The preceding article in German is even more concrete on the matter: apparently, it's not possible to cancel your account with WhatsApp (users report that the function to close the account in the app seems to do nothing), but once you have an account everyone that has your phone number and IMEI or MAC (depending on Android or iPhone) can send messages pretending to be you, even after you've uninstalled the app!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: WhatsApp - is it really 2012?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 10:54 AM »
40hz should chime in here. He's posted relevant things in other threads that would apply here.

For the not being able to quit your account... That's a general problem. Someone posted a link to a site that monitors that stuff, and I don't remember it sufficiently to search or find the link. Hopefully someone can link that here.

As for my other comments, well, I'm most of the way through a bottle, so I'll just shut up and leave people in peace. :D :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker