ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Changes at Kickstarter...

<< < (2/3) > >>

40hz:
I would think that most unknown musicians would do well to pledge to provide at least a 'demo quality' album via a free MP3 download to their kickstarter backers regardless of whether or not the funding goal is met.

Risk reversal goes a long way towards encouraging some backing. And that might also help from being seen as using Kickstarter as a CD store. (Even with that however, I'm sure many will eventually try a "project" launch just to get some free exposure and cachet - so it's back to square one for Kickstarter.)

I suspect there will eventually be a whole pile of restrictions placed on music projects if the musicians don't get their act together and stop trying to game Kickstarter's very open project registration policy.

wraith808:
Very good point 40.  And with the caveat of demo quality, it's not like it's much out of their pocket to do so.

40hz:
^Exactly. And purely from a recording sound quality perspective, most of today's "demo sound" is better than 99% of what was recorded prior to 1983/84.

Nowadays it's more likely it's the music that's lacking rather than the recording. ;) ;D

app103:
I was referring to projects like this one: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2091412546/tracy-silverman-calder-quartet-recording-project

This is an established musician with a good fan base that has had 10+ albums already, most on major labels, and he doesn't want to go back to recording for a big name label. This guy is a pro, not an amateur.

I was not referring to an unknown garage band that wants to have instant riches and has no fans.

40hz:
I was referring to projects like this one: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2091412546/tracy-silverman-calder-quartet-recording-project

This is an established musician with a good fan base that has had 10+ albums already, most on major labels, and he doesn't want to go back to recording for a big name label. This guy is a pro, not an amateur.

I was not referring to an unknown garage band that wants to have instant riches and has no fans.
-app103 (September 24, 2012, 06:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hey April!

Didn't think you were. I was just talking about musicians and kickstarter in general. I let myself get overly vocal because there are so many small bands talking about kickstarter lately who obviously have little understanding of what it's about or how it works.

None of that was directed at you or the Silverman/Calder Quartet. Sorry if it came across that way. :(

BTW, I'm pleased to see they hit their target. Found them and their project on YouTube and it sounds quite good.

I've myself have been addicted to electric violin since I first heard the Paul Winter Consort use one back when dinosaurs (and me!) first roamed the earth. Definitely gonna buy Tracy's Between the Kiss and the Chaos when it comes out.
 :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version