ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Home server upgrade meanderings

<< < (4/4)

f0dder:
Ended up buying (and assembling!) components after work today, initial impressions are nice. With the same disks, but three casefans and a cpufan, the system uses 40W idle vs. 65W on the old system - not bad. When copying to the new server, I got ~95MB/s (yay for plenty of ram for caching!), and ~56W power usage (compared to the ~82W on the old machine for much lower transfer rates!), copying from the server (closer to HDD speed) I get ~44MB/s at ~47W.

The 80mm fan from the icy dock was noisy as a jet, though, so I've disabled that - might have to shop for a quieter 80mm fan if harddrive temperatures turn out to be too high. The system seems to be about as silent/noisy as the old one - would probably be a bit quieter if I had opted for fully internal drives, rather than the hotswap dock. A bit hard to measure, tthough,  before turning off everything else and going to bed... which I'll be doing in a few minutes :)

More info and some pictures tomorrow or so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version