topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In search of ... a hardware donee  (Read 4838 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In search of ... a hardware donee
« on: September 23, 2012, 10:14 PM »
I have a ViDock4 Plus.  Contained therein is a Radeon Sapphire 62xx or 68xx (I don't recall, and I'm not gonna take the ViDock apart to check  ;).)  I can [probably] find the software that came with it, if there was any.  I don't remember  :-\.  The ViDock comes with two (2) power supplies, a 75 watt and a 150 watt, both of which I have.

The ViDock has a half-card interface.  I bought it for a Dell laptop that had such an interface.  The Dell died before I could ever get the ViDock installed and working.  Reason I bought it in the first place - year, year-and-a-half agone - was that I wanted three (3) or four (4) monitors available, and no software I've found to date can overcome the internal limits for a GPU. 

The Radeon Sapphire is three (3) or four (4) years old, never been used.  It wouldn't fit the desktop I had at the time because of physical placement issues.

It is highly unlikely that I'll ever have a desktop in my remaining lifetime - what can I say, I'm addicted to high-end laptops  :( ;), however, damned few of 'em have that all-important half-card slot, and my distrust of Dell has been reinforced  >:( - but if I did, 'twould be a home built system tailored to what I would then consider my specific, overweening needs at that time.

OK, that's the background/history.

I know there are a few DIY/hardware addicts here from a number of topics I've perused.

So.

The question is, does anyone want this particular beastie?  Shipping is/will be a non-issue.  I just need an address to which to ship it.  I'd hate to see this rotting away in my spare parts bin ... it cost too much to waste  :P.  International is not a problem, save for possible time/customs delays.

Given all the previous, anyone interested?  First come, first served ... reply here if you're brave  :), or PM me.  Either way, it won't cost you anything - I just don't want to see it rot on the shelf if it could help someone else.

Honest, no strings.  This would really help me (if you're so inclined).  I can clear out mucho space in my unused power supply drawer, as well as shelf space the ViDock is currently occupying.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: In search of ... a hardware donee
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 10:20 PM »
Are you saying that you're shipping a full laptop to someone because it doesn't have your killer-slot?

So if I announce myself as a potential donee, I might find myself with a nice juicy laptop to play with XXXXX er do work on? : )

Edit: Or is it just a graphics card because your current comp won't use it?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:26 PM »
I think it's a vidock with a graphics card inside.  A pretty good graphics card, actually.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 10:29 PM »
I could use it, not sure I would put it to the 'best' (whatever that means) use but I could use it for sure.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 11:03 PM »
Sorry, folk  :(, for the rest of you, but wraith808 got it.  Simply a matter of timing.  Sorry to disappoint.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 11:09 PM »
BTW, I'm still kinda iffy on the PM stuff.  I thimk I replied, wraith808, but I've been wrong before - December 31st, 1999 - thought it was January 1st, 2000.  Still using old dating system  :P :P :P.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 11:36 PM »
BTW, I'm still kinda iffy on the PM stuff.  I thimk I replied, wraith808, but I've been wrong before - December 31st, 1999 - thought it was January 1st, 2000.  Still using old dating system  :P :P :P.

I got your PM.  Thanks!

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 12:18 AM »
Heh "Given all the previous, anyone interested?  First come, first served ... reply here if you're brave  smiley, or PM me."

So did Wraith's PM beat my Post or does "First Come First Serve" mean something new now? : )

He can still have it, it's just a finesse question : )

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 03:11 PM »
So did Wraith's PM beat my Post or does "First Come First Serve" mean something new now? : )

OK, maybe the phrasing was a little awkward.  His was the first post that I saw, see  :huh:?  That made him the first, not by the clock, but by perception  ;).  And that was notification by Gmail ... I saw received the PM notice before I saw received the forum notice.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 03:45 PM »

OK, maybe the phrasing was a little awkward.  His was the first post that I saw, see  :huh:?  That made him the first, not by the clock, but by perception  ;).  And that was notification by Gmail ... I saw received the PM notice before I saw received the forum notice.

If he wants it, that's fine.