topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox - Useful customized searching  (Read 4211 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox - Useful customized searching
« on: April 16, 2006, 07:43 PM »
I hadn't noticed this before but in Firefox there is a search box on the button bar at the top.

ss1.png

It usually specifies Google (amongst others) as its search engine and gives the option of addingnew engines.

One thing I hadn't noticed on the extra engines web page was at the bottom which takes you to the Rollyo website http://www.rollyo.com/firefox_search.html and this allows you to setup multiple personal websearches.

These can be confined to one or many websites you like to visit (such as DC) and then you can search directly from the drop down box at the top of the window.

Looks like a nice way to setup searches amongst customized sites.

Here is an example - I set up a new search called DonationCoder and set it to search just www.donationcoder.com

I performed a search for the word "competition" and here is a shot of the beginning of the results:

ss2.png
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 03:37 AM by brotherS »

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox - Useful cusomized searching
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 07:52 PM »
i prefer Smart Keywords search, it is just so much easier to use.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox - Useful cusomized searching
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 07:56 PM »
Neat - I hadn't seen that.

Actually I think both might be useful as site based websearches aren't always perfect and Rollyo might be a way of finding results that aren't readily available via the sites own engine. For example I tried this approach out on DC for competition (as above with RollYo) but it only brought up one find!

Also I found that you have to be careful what you choose as your Smart Keyword. I tried setting up "DC competition" for searching here and it took me to totally unrelated websites. It worked when I changed the keyword to "DCoder competition".
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 08:01 PM by Carol Haynes »

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox - Useful customized searching
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 03:54 AM »
i prefer Smart Keywords search, it is just so much easier to use.
Nice to see they improved it! Like you (and being a true keyboard user), I never liked to add searches (I even removed the search field from Firefox). Before the smart keywords you needed to manually customize a keyword for a quick search to do the trick.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 05:04 AM »
Before the smart keywords you needed to manually customize a keyword for a quick search to do the trick.

I did that - but you do have to be careful in the keyword you choose. Try DC as a keyword and see what happens.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 05:17 AM »
Before the smart keywords you needed to manually customize a keyword for a quick search to do the trick.

I did that - but you do have to be careful in the keyword you choose. Try DC as a keyword and see what happens.
-Carol Haynes (April 17, 2006, 05:04 AM)
I read about your strange experience above - I'm using a tiny AutoHotkey script to search DC :)