ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Firefox - Useful customized searching

(1/2) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I hadn't noticed this before but in Firefox there is a search box on the button bar at the top.

It usually specifies Google (amongst others) as its search engine and gives the option of addingnew engines.

One thing I hadn't noticed on the extra engines web page was at the bottom which takes you to the Rollyo website http://www.rollyo.com/firefox_search.html and this allows you to setup multiple personal websearches.

These can be confined to one or many websites you like to visit (such as DC) and then you can search directly from the drop down box at the top of the window.

Looks like a nice way to setup searches amongst customized sites.

Here is an example - I set up a new search called DonationCoder and set it to search just www.donationcoder.com

I performed a search for the word "competition" and here is a shot of the beginning of the results:

kimmchii:
i prefer Smart Keywords search, it is just so much easier to use.

Carol Haynes:
Neat - I hadn't seen that.

Actually I think both might be useful as site based websearches aren't always perfect and Rollyo might be a way of finding results that aren't readily available via the sites own engine. For example I tried this approach out on DC for competition (as above with RollYo) but it only brought up one find!

Also I found that you have to be careful what you choose as your Smart Keyword. I tried setting up "DC competition" for searching here and it took me to totally unrelated websites. It worked when I changed the keyword to "DCoder competition".

brotherS:
i prefer Smart Keywords search, it is just so much easier to use.
-kimmchii (April 16, 2006, 07:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nice to see they improved it! Like you (and being a true keyboard user), I never liked to add searches (I even removed the search field from Firefox). Before the smart keywords you needed to manually customize a keyword for a quick search to do the trick.

Carol Haynes:
Before the smart keywords you needed to manually customize a keyword for a quick search to do the trick.
-brotherS (April 17, 2006, 03:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I did that - but you do have to be careful in the keyword you choose. Try DC as a keyword and see what happens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version