topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Um...the new iphone map app is, like, the same as google maps  (Read 4622 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Um...the new iphone map app is, like, the same as google maps
« on: September 23, 2012, 06:54 PM »
So, on Friday, I went down to our local hipster area to watch the girls and see what happens at the apple store.  First, there was a ridiculous line that lasted all day and night.  So silly.  It's just a phone ( a good looking one, but still).

I was interested in checking out the new apple map thing they've been talking about.  Let me tell you, I had to ask the staff if this was the new apple app or the old google map one.  That's how similar they are.

Here's the question: if apple can sue (and win) samsung for copying them, can't google sue apple for making billions in a matter of days using an app that's pretty much exactly the same as theirs?

Now, before people start pointing out what is actually different about the apple app and the google app, let me stop you...that's not my point.  i don't care anyway.  The point is, ultimately, when an average joe uses the apple app and then uses a google map app on an android phone, most people will not notice much difference.

rectangles, rounded corners, maps...at some point, i feel like we are just being creative for the sake of creativity.  it starts getting lame after a while.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Um...the new iphone map app is, like, the same as google maps
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 07:01 PM »
Yes, they will notice a difference.

The google one is right.

http://gizmodo.com/5...eady-horribly-misled

There's a lot of news out there about it.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 07:44 PM »
Yes, they will notice a difference.

The google one is right.

http://gizmodo.com/5...eady-horribly-misled

There's a lot of news out there about it.
That's not really what I was talking about.  I was trying to make an analogy with the similarities that were argued about in the famous lawsuit with apple and samsung.  the superficial stuff.  if samsung has to figure out a way to make a phone that's not a rectangle, i'd imagine apple needs to figure out a way to make a map app that doesn't look exactly like google maps.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 07:51 PM »
Just because Apple does it... does that mean we need to propagate it?  I mean seriously.  It's like that analogy about an eye for an eye.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Somewhere in an Eye for an Eye, comes Legal Precedent. If Apple wins a wild lawsuit based on a rounded corner, then why not have Google win one back on Maps? It hits the meta level of what we think precedent means and how basic it can become.

Lots of pundits are looking for a watershed where we all finally say "enough - no more".

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 08:21 PM »
Somewhere in an Eye for an Eye, comes Legal Precedent. If Apple wins a wild lawsuit based on a rounded corner, then why not have Google win one back on Maps? It hits the meta level of what we think precedent means and how basic it can become.

Lots of pundits are looking for a watershed where we all finally say "enough - no more".

Why not overturn the Apple lawsuit, instead of trying to make it legal precedent?  If you make it legal precedent, then you can bet that people will use (and misuse) it.  Again... why propagate the issue?

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 08:26 PM »
Google founders are big fan of Steve, there's a reason why google has minimal product folio these days with no Glabs and all. Not to forget, G is loaded with apple fanboys, just take a look at G plus. We live in sadistic world where "if apple does it, thats fair and if others are doing it, that's gotta be unfair". It will stop at the end of 2019 perhaps when apple hype gets over people.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 08:34 PM »
Google founders are big fan of Steve, there's a reason why google has minimal product folio these days with no Glabs and all. Not to forget, G is loaded with apple fanboys, just take a look at G plus. We live in sadistic world where "if apple does it, thats fair and if others are doing it, that's gotta be unfair". It will stop at the end of 2019 perhaps when apple hype gets over people.
yes, seriously.  they're marketing blitz has been brilliant the past decade.  they can't get people to stop talking about it.  just look at me. >:(
i don't even care, and yet...i always find something to say about it.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 10:01 PM »

Why not overturn the Apple lawsuit, instead of trying to make it legal precedent?  If you make it legal precedent, then you can bet that people will use (and misuse) it.  Again... why propagate the issue?

Of course, see Groklaw, there were several fishy things. You can bet Senior Legal Counsel of Samsung is prepping for the Appeal. You just know it won't end here. It does take time to prepare the 200 pages of appeal research though.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 10:08 PM »

Of course, see Groklaw, there were several fishy things. You can bet Senior Legal Counsel of Samsung is prepping for the Appeal. You just know it won't end here. It does take time to prepare the 200 pages of appeal research though.

Well of course.  But what I mean is that people are saying take advantage of the ruling that is in place.  That way will lead into more of the same mess we're already in with patent law.  It's better to prove all of it wrong rather than cherry-pick.