topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: $10 for a Facebook Post? Huh?  (Read 7925 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
$10 for a Facebook Post? Huh?
« on: September 23, 2012, 08:58 AM »
No. Really? Like I'm going to pay $10 for a Facebook post... Is someone smoking crack?

Screenshot - 2012-09-23 , 11_47_13 PM.png

FB has a "Promote" link, and I clicked it to see what it would cost after writing a snarky little post that's not appropriate for DC (has to do with fundamentals of logic that are extremely offensive to many people - I'm not kidding). Meh... If it's like $0.50, I might. Whatever.

$9.50!?!?

Well, *I'm* not smoking crack... :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: $10 for a Facebook Post? Huh?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 09:35 AM »
Actually, that's not that bad of a deal, if the post is commercial in nature...and you have over a million subscribers.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:00 AM »
Actually, that's not that bad of a deal, if the post is commercial in nature...and you have over a million subscribers.

It's my personal account. I ONLY friend people that I know. I have 226 friends. I do NOT friend people I don't know. Of those, probably half are inactive. Dunno exactly.

So, $10 for a personal post? Seriously? WTF?!?

But Hell yeah! If I could reach out to a million people for $10, that would be a great deal. I'm not talking about that though. $10 for probably 100 people? For a personal post? Of no commercial nature?

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 10:52 AM »
Whose feeds? How does it even work? Just bumping it up and 'promoting' on your friends' or subscribers' time line?!

Please tell me that's not the case 

That's hardly a good deal even if for a million people. If it's going to reach people already my friends or already subscribing I will just re-post 5 times a day.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 12:28 PM »
If it's going to reach people already my friends or already subscribing I will just re-post 5 times a day.
If a company started doing that, I kinda expect that followers would get pissed.

Ah well, we're seeing the beginning of investors wanting to monetize facebook. This will only get worse with time <3
- carpe noctem

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 12:43 PM »
If it's going to reach people already my friends or already subscribing I will just re-post 5 times a day.
If a company started doing that, I kinda expect that followers would get pissed.

Ah well, we're seeing the beginning of investors wanting to monetize facebook. This will only get worse with time <3

It's already being done, if you disguise it as a blog post and post the link many times and then write a part II. The question is what the $10 buys you, targeted 10 impressions is better than million random places or places I can just 'spam' myself.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 03:46 PM »

It's my personal account. I ONLY friend people that I know. I have 226 friends. I do NOT friend people I don't know. Of those, probably half are inactive. Dunno exactly.

So, $10 for a personal post? Seriously? WTF?!?

But Hell yeah! If I could reach out to a million people for $10, that would be a great deal. I'm not talking about that though. $10 for probably 100 people? For a personal post? Of no commercial nature?
Actually, I'd say that if that post is set to public visibility (if it's an ad, probably it wouldn't make much sense not to be, right?), your friend's friends might also see it, if it was promoted. Also, if any of those other friends-of-friends like or comment the post, it'd reach their friends too and so on. So, depending on how many friends your friends have and how many of those overlap, you might actually reach a pretty large number of people.

From what I read about promoting pages, the price is based on how many fans the page has, so I suppose that those 10$ are related to the potential reachability of the post too. It'd be nicer if they actually said how much people is certain to actually see the post.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 12:57 AM »
What renegade is referring to is news feed position of a post. Facebook has 2 sort settings, most recent and "top stories". No matter how many times you select most recent it will always revert back to "top stories" after a short while....and this is intentional.

Promoting a post makes it a "top story" that out ranks the more popular posts appearing in someone's news feed. When people have a lot of friends, and therefore a lot of news feed posts to read through, and maybe play games with a lot of game posts in their news feed, too, they are more likely to miss stories that are a lot farther down the page. Being a "top post" will put it near the top of the page, where they are more likely to see and notice it.

All it does is make sure your post isn't buried waaaaaaay down at the bottom when subscribers log in and view their news feed.

This is why I said what I said about commercial posts and number of subscribers dictating whether or not the $10 is a good deal.

It'd be nicer if they actually said how much people is certain to actually see the post.

It not based on impressions, like ads. There is no real way of knowing how many will see it. No way of knowing in advance how many of your friends will log in and visit their news feed page on any given day. And it's also possible that some of your friends might even be blocking your posts from appearing in their news feed. (I have a few relatives I have done this to, that post a lot of stuff that I find personally offensive) It's more comparable to a search engine ranking position on an endless page of results. You want to go natural and be a few miles down the page or pay $10 to be within the first 10 on the page? Even if you pay to be #10, there s no way of knowing in advance if people will close the page after viewing the top 3.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:12 AM by app103 »

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 08:08 AM »
Curiously they haven't tried to sell me one for my nano business yet - guess they know what money we're making...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Friends don't let friends use Facebook.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 08:16 PM »

Can we get Facebook declared a Cruel and Unusual punishment?  :P

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 07:12 AM »

Can we get Facebook declared a Cruel and Unusual punishment?  :P

Not sure, I think it actually falls under the 'Self Abuse' catagory.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 08:03 AM »
http://dangerousmind...want_my_friends_back

http://www.stuff.co....te-posts?cid=dlvr.it

So .. pay $10 a post if you want it to reach more than 20% of the people who should be able to see it?

;D