ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... RAMdisk opinions

<< < (8/12) > >>

f0dder:
Well, I just disabled - I thimk - the pagefile.  Don't see any significant RAM usage above and beyond the norm.  But, then, I'm just doing forum posts at the moment.  However, I normally have a bunch of stuff loaded at boot, so the actual program load is pretty hefty.-barney (September 24, 2012, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
I started disabling the pagefile when I had 1gig ram, I belive back in the win2k days - or perhaps early XP. A few things back then did cause problems, most notably I had to shut down every other process to play some games. With 2gig and XP (definitely before SP3, though!) I don't recall running into problems. Of course the amount of ram necessary to disable the pagefile will depend on your workloads.

Barring major malfunctions, I'll try this for a week or two (2), then reactivate the pagefile on a RAMdisk, see if there's a performance hit - or any other significant difference for that matter.-barney (September 24, 2012, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
I really don't see why anybody in their right mind would do this, though, considering the reason(nings) I've posted previously, and tomos' in the post right above this one as well.

Yes, if you're on a 32bit OS and have unadressable RAM, you could do it, and it might even sorta make sense - but unless you have stuffed a lot of unadressable RAM in your box (and then I'd be questioning your sanity :P), you'd still a disk-based pagefile, since the meager amount that's normally unadressable wouldn't suffice for a system that actually needs to swap...

cranioscopical:
Fortunately, at DoCo we don't get too many "forum-cops"
-40hz (September 24, 2012, 02:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think somebody already said that…

Renegade:
Fortunately, at DoCo we don't get too many "forum-cops" or "discussion historians" who just loooove to point out there's already been a thread about that "new" topic you just posted. ;D
-40hz (September 24, 2012, 02:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think somebody already said that…
-cranioscopical (September 25, 2012, 10:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

And I think that most people here actually have lives and simply aren't petty enough to bother wasting however long to drag it up and link as a kind of nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah. Well, beyond pointing out that there's another thread, as that is actually helpful in many cases. :P

Did I already say that? Getting a deja vu here... :P

:P

barney:
I really don't see why anybody in their right mind
-f0dder (September 25, 2012, 10:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hey!  You leave my mind out of this! It's already unstable enough as it is  :P!

Rationale is as follows:

* I've had the pagefile run away with me on some systems, not always identifiable as to why.
* I always limit the size of the pagefile ... call it quirky, but I do.
* Mindful of SSD stuff I've read recently, a RAMdisk pagefile reduces writes, although 'twould seem the jury is still out on that one.
* I've had the pagefile on a USB stick - not fast, but no noticeable deterioration in performance.  This is just another test.
* Finally, I won't know for certain until I try it myself, in real life, regardless the mentors that exist here.
If I'm even possibly likely to help someone else with this, I kinda need to understand the workings from experience, not just conversation no matter how erudite and knowledgeable the contributors to the conversation might be.

[Sidebar]
After I eliminated the pagefile, my memory usage decreased by seven (7) to ten (10) percent.  Not certain just what that implies, but I wouldn't have know w/o the experimentation.
[/Sidebar]

[Addendum]
If that memory is not otherwise being used, why not put it to use?
[/Addendum]

40hz:
Finally, I won't know for certain until I try it myself, in real life, regardless the mentors that exist here.[/li]
[/list]

If I'm even possibly likely to help someone else with this, I kinda need to understand the workings from experience, not just conversation no matter how erudite and knowledgeable the contributors to the conversation might be.
-barney (September 25, 2012, 06:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

@barney - Good man! That's the right way to approach this stuff. Sure, do the research and homework. But hands-on is everything. Best way to learn how a computer system works is to set something up you don't mind breaking every so often. Then break it every so often.

If nothing else, you'll learn what not to do - and also how to recover a borked system.  8) :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version