ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... RAMdisk opinions

<< < (7/12) > >>

40hz:
Do note that you shouldn't disable the pagefile unless you always have enough free physical memory, even under high load, or you at least know the implications of what turning off the pagefile means. Windows doesn't really like running out of memory (but at least it doesn't go about OOM-killing processes like Linux does by default).
-f0dder (September 24, 2012, 05:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well Linux might have done it the same way...except Microsoft has a patent on the BSOD - so Linux can't just let itself fault-crash like Windows does. :P
-----------------------------------------------------------
@f0 - (Sorry. Just kidding. I couldn't resist!) ;) ;D

Tinman57:
  Back in my old Amiga days the RAM-Disk was pretty much a must, and it worked great on the AmigaDos.  Then when I went to W-95 I researched RAM-disk and found that back then, RAM-disk software was rare and you had to be pretty much a computer scientist to set it up.  lol  I haven't researched it since then and don't even know if it's worth it or not on Windows machines, I just doubled the RAM on my puter and kept on truckin'.....

barney:
LOL! I see you've dealt with MS Exchange backups too! 8) :Thmbsup
-40hz (September 24, 2012, 06:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, hell no!  This started way before Exchange was a gleam in some developer's eye.  MS-DOS v2.1, I thimk, introduced me to the concept of PC backups [conceptually deficient - backup worked, restore didn't] ... I've distrusted 'em ever since  ;D.  Granted, MS Exchange, if it doesn't take top spot, at least ranks in the top three (3) damnittohell recovery scenarios, but I've given up on backups, for the most part.  The backup takes time, and recovery is always questionable, no matter the source or methodology.

I've had better luck with disk images, but even there the results can be erratic.

MS Exchange is a latecomer to this party  :P.

barney:
Do note that you shouldn't disable the pagefile unless you always have enough free physical memory, even under high load, or you at least know the implications of what turning off the pagefile means. Windows doesn't really like running out of memory (but at least it doesn't go about OOM-killing processes like Linux does by default).
--- End quote ---

Well, I just disabled - I thimk - the pagefile.  Don't see any significant RAM usage above and beyond the norm.  But, then, I'm just doing forum posts at the moment.  However, I normally have a bunch of stuff loaded at boot, so the actual program load is pretty hefty.  Barring major malfunctions, I'll try this for a week or two (2), then reactivate the pagefile on a RAMdisk, see if there's a performance hit - or any other significant difference for that matter.

However, my system(s) be head-and-shoulders above what most of my compatriots use, so I still won't know whether it would make a difference to them.

tomos:
--- End quote ---

Well, I just disabled - I thimk - the pagefile.  Don't see any significant RAM usage above and beyond the norm.  But, then, I'm just doing forum posts at the moment.  However, I normally have a bunch of stuff loaded at boot, so the actual program load is pretty hefty.  Barring major malfunctions, I'll try this for a week or two (2), then reactivate the pagefile on a RAMdisk, see if there's a performance hit - or any other significant difference for that matter.-barney (September 24, 2012, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
Let us know how you get on barney :)

Re the Pagefile:
it's (supposed to be) for when you run out of memory.
Therefore it seems counterproductive to use up some of that same memory in order to create a pagefile. Cause then you'll be forcing computer to use the pagefile sooner than normally otherwise necessary.
Unless, of course as said above, the machine is 32bit and has memory over & above whatever the limit is for 32bit

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version