ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ubuntu will now have Amazon ads pre-installed

(1/8) > >>

Josh:
Amazon shopping results have been integrated into the Unity Dash of Ubuntu 12.10.

The feature comes a day after news that Ubuntu were adding Amazon and Ubuntu One Music web-apps as default items on Unity launcher.

Canonical says that the feature ‘extends what was already introduced in the Music and Video Lenses’ by offering ’a “more suggestions” results category …to searches performed from the home dash.’

The boon for them is that they get a small % cut from every purchase made through the Dash (or the web-app mentioned yesterday), as Oliver Ries explained on the Ubuntu Development mailing list yesterday:

“…if a user clicks the item and purchases it, it will generate affiliate revenue that we can invest back into the project (in a similar way to how we generate revenue from the Firefox search
bar).

We have found affiliate revenue to be a good method of helping us to continue to invest in maturing and growing Ubuntu.”

--- End quote ---

Source

40hz:
Yes. Maturing and growing Ububtu into the next iOS.

Sorry. Mark Shuttleworth still sucks.  ;)

mahesh2k:
Firefox has ebay and amazon URLs encoded in Search since version 5 onwards, that code is rewritten by canonical. On windows and mac, firefox takes the revenue but on ubuntu canonical grabs the affiliate revenue. I am sure each of the linux distro have their own aff code in searchbar. So I don't know integration like that makes any big news.

f0dder:
On a somewhat related topic: am I the only one that purposefully removes affiliate links from URLs before purchasing things, unless I deliberately want to support a particular person?

wraith808:
On a somewhat related topic: am I the only one that purposefully removes affiliate links from URLs before purchasing things, unless I deliberately want to support a particular person?
-f0dder (September 22, 2012, 09:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nope.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version