ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help scientists decipher 'lost' gospel

(1/3) > >>

Arizona Hot:
Is anyone here interested in helping researchers organize the Oxyrhynchus Papyri? "Since its discovery, the treasure trove has yielded up some masterpieces of the age, including the comedies of Menander, the poems of Sappho and the gnostic Gospel of Thomas."

If you don't have the time for that, you may be interested in Structured Procrastination.

IainB:
I think we probably have a duty to offer help to some scientists. I'm a member of Clime-Aid.

Renegade:
Is anyone here interested in helping researchers organize the Oxyrhynchus Papyri? "Since its discovery, the treasure trove has yielded up some masterpieces of the age, including the comedies of Menander, the poems of Sappho and the gnostic Gospel of Thomas."
-Arizona Hot (September 20, 2012, 11:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I studied some Ancient Greek as a part of a course, but it's completely out of my league.

I do like the concept of crowd-sourcing that though.

tomos:
Just in case people think they need ancient Greek:

How you can help
The beauty part is that you don't even have to know Greek to help out. The online interface asks only that you compare the letters on each fragment with the shapes displayed on a keyboard. Lintott told me that the current plan calls for each fragment to be checked five times or so, to take advantage of the wisdom of crowds. Think of it as a variant of the "Captcha" type-in-the-phrase system that's used to block spammers.
--- End quote ---

The interface looks impressive
http://ancientlives.org/tutorial/transcribe

Arizona Hot:
This post has been read 123 times. The next time I want to offer a text file(Structured Procrastination), I will attach it here so that I can see how many people download it. Or would that discourage people from reading it(at least here)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version