ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Licensing Free Software

<< < (2/3) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Why doesn't Creative Commons work? One of the Attribution-NonCommercial ones?

wraith808:
Does CC work for software?  I thought it was only for artistic works (though one could argue that software was artistic, I suppose)

Renegade:
CC lacks some typical clauses that you'd find in normal software agreements, like a disclaimer against responsibility for usage.

jgpaiva:
According to CC's faq (here), it is not recommended that you use their licenses for software. That's the license I use for GridMove, though. Mostly because I'm lazy :P

wraith808:
^ I thought I saw that somewhere when I got into the whole licensing bit.  I use CC for my writing, but that's what got me started looking at licensing my software.  But looking into it, other than Renegade's and 40s suggestions, there doesn't seem to be much help for people who don't want to release the source. 

And the reasons for not releasing the source are valid:
1. A lot of the source is derived from code for other people that I maintain the rights to use- but not distribute. 
2. Other source is just not compatible with OSS, i.e. commercial components.
3. I've had experiences with OSS that I don't want to repeat- it's just easier to not deal with it, especially for something that I'm not looking to derive compensation from.

But people are so focused on OSS that they forget about people who just want to release free stuff.  IMO, the Free Software Definition shouldn't be synonymous with OSS.  But it seems to be.  Just because you can't tinker with use the source, doesn't make the software not free.

But that's a different rant...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version