topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: %num% counter does not function  (Read 6479 times)

screenman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
%num% counter does not function
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:56 AM »
In version 3.08.01 if I add %num% as a counter to file name template it just puts 001 on each file. Hope this can be fixed as soon as possible.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: %num% counter does not function
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 12:06 PM »
That's actually by design -- the %num% field only goes up when it needs to in order to avoid a conflict with another file name.
But the new version which is about to be released has a separate field you can use to have a persistently increasing counter -- I just put out an update for my FARR program yesterday and expect to have the Screenshot Captor new release out in the next couple of days.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 02:06 PM »
In version 3.08.01 if I add %num% as a counter to file name template it just puts 001 on each file. Hope this can be fixed as soon as possible.

The same was happening to me. Until mouser makes a change, here's how I make it work for me.
If you are using any other fields (ie %datetime%, %date%, etc) in the template that automatically changes the filename on capture, %num% sees the change and doesn't increment. But if you use a fixed name of some type (or in my case %quickfield%) and make changes to it, SC increments the files fine. I then put %datetime% or any other varible field names in the comments field to be saved and it still saves the information needed without affecting the file name.

Hope this helps.

screenman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 04:32 PM »
Will do the workaround and looking forward to the new release.

Many thanks!

_murphy_

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 11:49 AM »
Hello,

is there any way to increase number of digits used with %num% variable? I need to capture some work of our animators and 999 files is just not enough for us  :)

thank you very much

murphy

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 12:26 PM »
I apologize that it's taking so long to get our a proper new release with the fix for this.

In the meantime I've just uploaded a new beta for you to try at:

The new beta does not change the function of the %num% field, but adds a new field %numinc%.

Let me explain the difference:
  • %num% - a 3 digit number that is AUTOMATICALLY generated and set as needed to avoid filename clashes.  So if a new screenshot filename would overwrite an existing one, SC will try finding a value for %num% that is unique, starting at 1 and going up from there to 999.  If %num% is found explicitly in the file name template, it will be used there, otherwise it will be added to the end to uniquify the filename if (and only if) needed.  Essentially this is all automatic -- the only reason the %num% field is exposed in the filename template is so that you can change its position in your filename if you want to.
  • %numinc% - a new 5 digit number that is only used if it is explicitly specified in the filename template.  If found, it is ALWAYS used, and its value is ALWAYS incremented, and is kept persistent between runs (even when you exit and restart SC).  It starts off at a value of 1 and can be manually changed in the "File Naming Template" tab. This will give a unique number to every capture if you use it.

So I hope you guys will try out the new %numinc% field and tell me if it does what you wanted.  Remember you have to explicitly go to the File Naming Template tab and add it to your filename template in order for it to be used.

For example:
Screenshot - 11_1_2012 , 12_30_04 PM - cap 00024.png

_murphy_

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 04:12 AM »

So I hope you guys will try out the new %numinc% field and tell me if it does what you wanted.  Remember you have to explicitly go to the File Naming Template tab and add it to your filename template in order for it to be used.

It works like a charm! (v3.12.01) Thank you   :Thmbsup:

Last thing I can not quickly find is possibility to assign hotkey to "Engage Auto Capture Timer"

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 05:21 PM »
It works like a charm!

Great!

I can not quickly find is possibility to assign hotkey to "Engage Auto Capture Timer"

There is no hot key for this.. though there is a tray menu item for it.. I'm thinking about making a more generic hotkey system -- if so I will support it.