topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Pause when searching  (Read 3587 times)

Paul Gardner

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Pause when searching
« on: September 19, 2012, 08:18 AM »
I'm experiencing a pause when FARR attempts to populate the results of a search.  I've tracked it down to network folder short cuts I have.  Any time those shortcuts are encountered as part of the search, or search history, FARR pauses for almost 10 seconds - apparently it's trying to ensure that shortcut is still valid?

I tried unchecking the two 'Resolve when...' options, and the 'Remove missing items...' in the Search Behavior options page, but that doesn't seem to have resolved the issue.

Is there something else I can try?  I searched in the forum, but all I found was a solution to remove the items from the history, which does temporarily resolve the issue.  Unfortunately, I use those shortcuts several times a week, so the problem keeps reoccurring.

I'm using 2.105.1.  I noticed that a new beta is out, but the list of changes doesn't appear to address anything in this area.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Pause when searching
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 11:48 AM »
I don't have an easy fix for this, but there is something i'd actually like to test with regard to this -- something that might help.  I will try to prepare a special version to test.

Paul Gardner

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:06 PM »
Absoloutely!

Paul Gardner

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 07:52 AM »
2.107.04 doesn't resolve this issue.  I messed around with it some more and discovered a few things
1) The same problem happens if I create alias - FARR then freezes in the alias resolution (partial.alias is what I think the status bar said)
2) This only happens on folder shortcuts where I get prompted for a user name and password before Windows will open the folder.  Other shortcuts to the same remote machine that don't prompt have no issues.

So my current solution is to move all the prompting shortcuts to a non-searched folder, and then alias a shortcut to that folder.  That freezes FARR when I enter the alias, but nothing gets saved to the History, so the freeze is predictable and only affects me when I want to go do that specific folder.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 08:08 AM »
If this is a problem faced by others, where there are a very small set of specific files that cause farr to pause while navigating through them because they are network files that require a username/pass, i could add a place where user can put a list of files that farr should never actually check for the existence of and should use a geneirc icon to display..