topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for help on how this works for someone who doesn't know Windows Surface  (Read 2329 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This was recently posted in HN and it sounds cool but I don't know how to make the setup work especially as I don't have the hardware and I don't understand what Windows 8 had to do with this:

http://yieldthought....-linode-1-year-later

For a while now I’ve been telling people that Microsoft will become the new cool, the inventive underdog, and I still believe that. Windows 8 may be a huge gamble for Microsoft, but Windows 8 RT is a clear win for me.

Microsoft understands the keyboard. I can start, switch and control apps without leaving the keyboard. The device even comes with one.

Sometimes it’s really nice to have two windows open, especially when using video output to a larger monitor. I think the Windows 8 side-dock idea will suit me very well.

Love or hate Internet Explorer 10, I have every expectation that we’ll see the real rendering engine on Windows RT. I don’t care what they call it, if I can run LightTable and Google Docs without gouging my eyes out, I’ll be happy.

Last but not least, the Metro vibe feels fresh and new and I’m intrigued by Microsoft’s choice to make Javascript + HTML5 a first-class way to develop for the system. I’m already looking forward to hacking my own tiles together to smooth my workflow and simplify my day.

Perhaps in a year’s time I’ll be switching to another client. It doesn’t matter, and that’s the beauty of this setup - its flexibility. For me, though, this coming year will be the year of the Surface.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
His talk about Windows 8 RT is a talk about what is going to happen next. Until now it was Linux on Linode.

If you want to set up a copy, he has almost promised to guide you:

Postscript: Intrigued and looking for more? Tempted to try it out one afternoon? I’ve decided to start a mailing list - I plan to write one or two emails a month about my experiences; the highs and lows of this desk-free lifestyle. I’ll also share more practical tips such as setting up a VPN or keeping in touch with the team. You can join the list here: http://eepurl.com/pBDdv