topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Screenshot lighting  (Read 3260 times)

robbero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Screenshot lighting
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:32 AM »
I tried a new way of working as you've intended with screenshot captor:
Putting all my screenshots in the temp folder and move it to the directory I want.
Its a different way of working but it has advantages also.

During my work with screenshots I noted that the screenshots I've taken were darker then the screenshots with faststone.
I tried to make them lighter with the tool "enhance and adjust colors, contrast etc."
First thing I noted is that this window (the enhance and adjust colors window) was not in english (my screenshotcaptor language) but in the language of my regional settings.

Then after using the tool to make my screenshots lighter I noted that the screenshots were becoming lighter mostly in the center of the screenshot and a bit less around.
I noted that seem thing also in the screenshot self (more light in the center of the image then at the sides of the image).

Faststone capture did not have these light bubbles in the center of the image.
Can you try to resolve this problem?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot lighting
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 10:41 AM »
It sounds like you are doing something unusual.

Screenshots are not normally "lightened" in any way -- they are taken as is.

There is a color enhancing tool in SC where you could increase the gamma or contrast, etc. if you want -- no reason it should be applying to center unless you are applying a special effect that is designed specifically for that.

NOW,

what you *might* be describing with the apparent "darkness" is a smoothing/blurring view that may be applied when the screenshot is being shown at below 100% magnitude (it doesn't effect the actual image).

Next time you compare screenshots and think SC image is dark, click the 100% zoom and see if its fixed and normal after changing to 100% zoom.

If so, you can turn off the slight smoothing/blurring effect used when resizing from here:
Screenshot - 9_24_2012 , 10_39_26 AM.png

Again, screenshots are simply not brightened or darkened by screenshot taking programs as a rule -- they are left as is.  Whatever darkness you are seeing has to be just an artifact of some display mode, etc. 

Let me know what you discover.

robbero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:56 PM »
Thank you Mouser. Happy to read that there is no difference between screenshots.

I suppose that I viewed both screenshots at 100% zoom, because they were very small
but I'm not 100% sure. I will keep an eye on it.

I disabled the smoothing. I don't see the light centered in the screenshot I saw a few days ago.

I'm happy to read your answer :)

A few days ago, I looked at the differences in screenshots after having saved the file.
Can it be that the differences are made during the saving method?

Thanks as always for your great support.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 01:07 PM »
A few days ago, I looked at the differences in screenshots after having saved the file.
Can it be that the differences are made during the saving method?

As long as you are saving as PNG files, the images will be perfect (lossless) and should not be even 1 pixel different.

If you are saving some as jpg, that will result in degraded images.

(I suppose one thing that could make a screenshot "dark" is if it is of a semi-transparent window, but i'd think you would know that if it was the case).