ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SpammerScammer

<< < (9/11) > >>

f0dder:
The problem with baiting is that is assumes that everyone is hip to the scammers. Some people are plain old dumb to email scams and fall for them..ask my aunt she ALMOST fell for one...which is why I believe it is better for the scammer to abandon the email address and have to start from scratch, this way if there is a potential victim's email in the mailbox it will most likely get lost in tr shuffle.-Webpirate (September 23, 2012, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
Tossing an email address and grabbing a new one takes a couple of minutes. The stuff scambaiters do can keep scammers occupied for a lot longer.

You've got your heart in the right place, but you're approaching the problem in a wrong way - and I'm still afraid it'll do more harm than good.

Tinman57:
Tossing an email address and grabbing a new one takes a couple of minutes. The stuff scambaiters do can keep scammers occupied for a lot longer.

You've got your heart in the right place, but you're approaching the problem in a wrong way - and I'm still afraid it'll do more harm than good.-f0dder (September 23, 2012, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

A scammer tossing an email address and getting a new one means that all the possible "hits" to that scam will be lost and he has to start all over again from scratch.  That's why they hang on to the email addresses as long as possible until someone shuts them down.

Webpirate:
Tinman you are exactly right....that's the goal of my site...

Tinman57:
Tinman you are exactly right....that's the goal of my site...
-Webpirate (September 23, 2012, 06:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
  Which is exactly why I posted about this site on this forum.  Now if we can just get some people to understand that it has nothing to do with spam.   lol

Stoic Joker:
That's 3000 - 5000 emails to sort through in the hopes that one person sent his personal information.
-Webpirate (September 22, 2012, 11:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

The bogus email volume should be smaller/a believable size, and should contain auto-generated bogus personal information, which should make it a complete waste of time for the scammer. Especially if the Fuzz are alerted to watch for the personal info they're about to try using... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version