ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SpammerScammer

<< < (8/11) > >>

Webpirate:
Due to spyware and virii ip addresses are blacklisted on a day by day basis..meaning that if an ip if found to be sending lots if spam the ip will be blacklisted, but once with "infection" or spam is stopped the IP address will be automatically removed from the blacklist after a few days of non spamming..

TaoPhoenix:
Okay, that test came through, so your service makes a little more sense, though Seraphim is right that it's double edged.

It looked to me that unless I am a special case, it's the same 3 line phrase with a random 2 word leader grafted onto the front. Yahoo let about 10 of them through and the other 1800 landed in the Spam folder, so I'm not sure that helps your cause either, because 1800 of those already pre-sorted into the spam folder would leave the one real one in the spammer's inbox.

Okay, so I understand now, you can shut it off when you see this note.

f0dder:
I think this service is a bad idea.

Even with the manual target check, it's open for abuse... and it will likely get the IPs you're sending from blacklisted. And I kinda doubt it will do much to combat spammers. Scambaiting (419eater.com style) is a much better idea - to seriously waste the scammers' time doing silly stuff.

Webpirate:
The idea is that even with most of the emails from my service  ending up in the spam box can a scammer really afford to delete all of them without checking them? Is there a chance that one of the ones in the spam box is real? And I do believe that the scammers would probably tell the spam filter to allow those emails with that subject line and/or part of it into the inbox... Example: if subject line is LIKE (scam subject) then allow it into the inbox.

The problem with baiting is that is assumes that everyone is hip to the scammers. Some people are plain old dumb to email scams and fall for them..ask my aunt she ALMOST fell for one...which is why I believe it is better for the scammer to abandon the email address and have to start from scratch, this way if there is a potential victim's email in the mailbox it will most likely get lost in tr shuffle.

But here is a better idea: we can do both...those who have time to sit around baiting the scammers can do that and this who just want to annoy the scammers can use my service...after all its free....I pay for everything myself...

TaoPhoenix:
Yes, the scammer can afford to ignore the spam-caught ones, because "throwing the email away" is just ad bad. So all he has to do is look at the ones that didn't get spam tossed. I'm presuming the email filters would see the one "bait" mail come through looking way different and let it live.

But not counting that the scammers seem to be pretty dumb, if they had any brains they'd do a word search on their email and they could for example see that "all 1842 of the mails have the phrase "shit out of luck" in them, therefore they can't be bait."

P.S. Did you turn off the engine on my account yet? : )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version