ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SpammerScammer

<< < (4/11) > >>

J-Mac:
Speaking of spam, anyone had trouble with spam text-messages being sent to your cell #? If so, were you able to make it stop and how?
-kyrathaba (September 17, 2012, 07:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Assign it to a contact and then block that contact. I do it through Google Contacts on my Android Razr.

Jim

Renegade:
Assign it to a contact and then block that contact. I do it through Google Contacts on my Android Razr.
-J-Mac (September 17, 2012, 09:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that kind of time consuming?

Stoic Joker:
And... This thread has prompted me to tighten up my anti-spam parameters. Hopefully I'll get a lot less now. If not, then tighten again...-Renegade (September 17, 2012, 09:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Be careful with that if it's a server side filter. Never tune a spam filter past 90-95% anything in that range is gold. Attempting to go past that is just going to (cost you ham) FP/break it.

Stoic Joker:
--- End quote ---

-Renegade (September 17, 2012, 11:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nope, depending on the phone you can add like 10-15 numbers to a given blocked contact entry. I used to use a complete silence ringtone for a group of 30 numbers (debt collector types) that fit nicely into only 2 contact entries. and it's a breeze to add a alternate # to any contact. ;)

J-Mac:
--- End quote ---

-Renegade (September 17, 2012, 11:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not at all. My Droid Razr uses Google Contacts; whenever I add or edit a contact it is also added/edited in Google Contacts. I also have a Google Voice account (which is tied to my Google Contacts automatically) and my voice mail on the Razr is forwarded to my G-Voice mailbox. Now the G-Voice account has a very easy call block feature so whenever I receive a spam call or SMS text on the Razr I simply add the contact to an existing contact named "Spam-001", which is configured to be blocked. That contact's ring tone is set to "Silent". So when a call (or SMS) comes in to any of the numbers contained in that contact the phone doesn’t ring and/or the SMS notification stays silent and the call/SMS is redirected to a recording stating that my number is no longer in service.

So now when a new spam number either calls or texts me I just wait for it to stop ringing, click that number and then "Add to Contacts", add it to the Spam-001 contact and it'll never be heard from again.   :D

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version