topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 4:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone using Puran Utilities 1.0.2 ??  (Read 5211 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone using Puran Utilities 1.0.2 ??
« on: September 14, 2012, 06:00 PM »
I noticed Puran Utilities 1.0.2 announcement. I regularly use Puran Defrag. But I never tried any of the other tools. Is anyone using it regularly? If 2 or 3 of the other utilities are good then I'll give it a try.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone using Puran Utilities 1.0.2 ??
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 12:08 AM »
IMO the defrag is world class but others not so useful.  YMMV.

Each Puran Utility can be downloaded individually- just Click its name below its icon here:
http://www.puransoft...Puran-Utilities.html

To get just the latest Puran Defrag:
http://www.puransoft...om/Puran-Defrag.html
http://www.puransoft...Defrag-Download.html

Ska
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:18 AM by SKA »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:25 AM »
Is that all freeware?
(couldnt find anything on the site about it, nor licensing terms)
Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 09:48 AM »
Is that all freeware?
(couldnt find anything on the site about it, nor licensing terms)

Well, it's apparently FreeAsInBeer, because the right side of the home page says " Its Free! ". However it's also copyrighted on the bottom of the page, with all that implies.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 09:51 AM »
Well, it's apparently FreeAsInBeer, because the right side of the home page says " Its Free! ".

I always often seem to manage to miss what I'm looking for :-[
THanks Tao!
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 01:04 PM »
I've used Puran's defrag. It does what it says on the tin and is one of several good free defraggers you can download. I didn't see anything in it that really set it apart from the rest. It did the job and didn't break anything doing it. That makes it good enough for me.

Their service manager looked nice, as did the shutdown manager. But I've already got those needs covered by other programs so I doubt I'd install them - except maybe for a friend who wasn't too technical.

One big advantage you get with single function utilities (as opposed to some of those all-in-one suites like Glary Utilities) is that a less sophisticated user has less opportunity to get into trouble since the app can only do one thing.

As far as registry tools go, I have mixed feelings. Under Windows XP, registry fixers and cleaners could (in the hands of a knowledgeable user) yield some positive benefits - provided you didn't allow them to "automatically fix" whatever they found. Doing bare-bones fixes to the XP registry should be handled much like adjusting the truss rod in a guitar (i.e. gradually and slowly - with the absolute minimum done to get the desired result).

With Windows 7 however, I think registry utilities have the potential to cause far more problems than they'll solve. And with the changes Microsoft has made to how Windows 7 handles its registry, these utilities are now mostly useless at best IMHO.

Same goes for registry defraggers. I've never seen a case where defragging the registry did anything, let alone improve overall Windows performance. So outside of possibly using them in some extremely rare service situations, I think they're also mostly useless.

YMMV.  8)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 01:11 PM by 40hz »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 02:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies. SKA, thanks for the links. I was thinking of checking out the service thingy. Windows Services applet it really a "pane" to use. :)

Edit: Just for grins I checked out NirSoft. There's a service utility that doesn't require install. I use a lot of NS utilities and trust 'em.

http://www.nirsoft.n.../utils/serviwin.html
edit: one cool thing I see, Control-f you can search on service name. Faster than scrolling and looking. :)

Not to disparage the Puran software. I've been using the defrag for years. It's great. Fast defrag without overkill.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 02:35 PM by MilesAhead »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 10:44 AM »
Is that all freeware?
Well, it's apparently FreeAsInBeer, because the right side of the home page says " Its Free! ".
Also see bottom of Defrag page, http://www.puransoft...om/Puran-Defrag.html under Version History:
24 August 2012    Version 7.5 Puran Defrag is now free for commercial use too. Added recommended schedules.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 10:52 AM »
^ thanks rj :up:
Tom