ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Batch-create shortcuts from a CSV file

(1/2) > >>

Josh:
Hello all,

Here is what I want to achieve. I need to create around 80-90 shortcuts. I have a CSV file that is formatted as such:

--- Code: Text ---Shortcut Title, Command
Is there a tool that can take this csv file and create shortscuts titled "Shortcut Title" and points to the "Command" executable or path?

Target:
Hello all,

Here is what I want to achieve. I need to create around 80-90 shortcuts. I have a CSV file that is formatted as such:

--- Code: Text ---Shortcut Title, Command
Is there a tool that can take this csv file and create shortscuts titled "Shortcut Title" and points to the "Command" executable or path?
-Josh (September 12, 2012, 07:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't tested this, but try this AHK script...

--- ---#singleinstance,force

fileselectfile, src, ,*.csv
if errorlevel
  exitapp

loop, read, %src%
{
  stringsplit,tmp_,a_loopreadline,`,
  filecreateshortcut, %tmp_2%, %tmp_1%
}

exitapp

shortcuts should be created in the same directory as the script, though if you want to create them in a specific location that could be catered for as well

MilesAhead:
If "Command" is not wrapped in double quotes when containing spaces, such as a path under Program Files, I could see problems. This function might help

--- ---;returns string, wrapped in quotes when containing spaces
;updated to test if string already wrapped in double quotes
_WrapQuotes(str)
{
  wqLeftChar := ""
  wqRightChar := ""
  if (!str) || (!InStr(str," "))
    return str
  StringLeft,wqLeftChar,str,1
  StringRight,wqRightChar,str,1
  if (wqLeftChar = """") && (wqRightChar = """")
    return str
  str := """" . str . """"
  return str
}

Josh:
I appreciate the responses thus far! I must say that I am fairly proud that I just made this applet in powershell.

The intent behind this was to have a list of known control panel applets, and generate shortcuts to them. This is to aid mouser with a planned update to FARR and the way it calls the control panel applets.

I created a file named applets.txt, formatted it as such:

--- Code: Text ---Shortcut (LNK) Title, Path to control.exe, and the argument to call to execute the desired applet
Here is the code for powershell tested on Windows 8 and verified to work:

--- Code: Text ---# Create shortcuts to a known list of control panel applets from XP-Win8# File format for CSV is Shortcut Name, Path to control.exe (including control.exe in the path), Argument to call this control panel applet# Sample: Action Center, c:\windows\system32\control.exe, /name Microsoft.ActionCenter $filename = import-csv "c:\temp\applets.txt"foreach ($i in $filename){        $ShortcutName = $i.Name        $Target = $i.Path        $Argument = $i.Argument         # Set the path to the shortcut LNK file        $FullSPath = "$home\Desktop\Shortcuts\" + $ShortcutName + ".lnk"         ### Debug code to display the shortcut file name, target file name (control.exe path) and the executing argument.         # write-host "Shortcut File Name: " $FullSPath " Target File: " $Target "  Argument: " $Argument        # pause        ### End debug code         # Establish a wscript shell variable        $wshshell = New-Object -ComObject WScript.Shell         # Set the path to the target shortcut file (LNK)        $lnk = $wshshell.CreateShortcut($FullSPath)         # Set the Target path to the executable file itself (control.exe)        $lnk.TargetPath = $Target                # Set the argument (Control panel applet call)        $lnk.Arguments = $i.Argument         # Write the shortcut        $lnk.save()}
Source file attached for shortcuts

MilesAhead:
Glad you got it to work. :)

Is this for W8 only? Or is it meant to be portable across Windows versions? I'm not sure about PowerShell as I could only force myself to read about it for 5 minutes. Something about the syntax turned me off. But there's probably stuff you can do with it that would be more difficult with other script types.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version