ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

My experiences with Screenshot Captor

(1/6) > >>

robbero:
Hi,

I once used Screenshot Captor a lot but I uninstalled it because after many months of use I still couldn't find things in the menu and didn't find the things where I expected it. Too much stuff everywhere.

This year I've read on various sites that Screenshot Captor has been becoming better and better but the most important reason why I installed it again is the great new scrolling capture option. It does his job wonderful. Beautiful.

But I noted that still the same preferences menu was there with too much stuff and not enough clear (for me).

After 30 minutes searching I still could not find out how to do this:

- after capturing only go to a "save as" dialog (not the popup window)
- after giving a name to the captured file NOT going to the folder where the file has been saved
- how to capture a freehand region (as in faststone capture)

Help is appreciated. :)

(It would be nice to see in the system tray menu: output --> to editor / clipboard / file / file (auto-save) /printer / email  (as in fast stone))

Thanks.

Renegade:
I don't really know what you mean by the first 2 (could be the whiskey and tiredness...)

But for the third:

And the menu there if it matters:

The shortcut keys work for that.

mouser can chime in on the rest. I need to get back to my whiskey and general well-deserved goofing off. ;)

tomos:
1, 2 & 3

1) I dont *think* that this is possible

2) see mouse pointer on screenshot below

3) Shift+PrtScr (or right-click the tray icon)

mouser:
Fair points robbero..

Screenshot Captor exists in a slightly different niche than many other tools.. It is designed to operate in two main modes:

* The first is a mode where it stays out of your way completely and let's you take lots of screenshots without any intervention.  And it's designed to try to make it really easy to work with your screenshot files after you are done capturing them (by providing a thumbnail panel with drag and drop and right-click functionality), and to let you configure multiple operations that are automatically applied after each screenshot is taken (email, print, clipboard, etc.)
* The second mode is where it pops up the "post-capture" dialog with a preview and quick buttons to save as, print, email, etc. buttons.  This would be the natural mode when just getting used to the program.
I think that most people find those two modes are good at capturing their workflow.

However, I have come to accept recently that there is probably another kind of workflow that Screenshot Captor should support, and that is an (optional) floating toolbar which lets you choose the kind of capture, and what to do after the capture, and a button to perform it.  Personally I would never use such a feature and would encourage anyone who takes lots of screenshots to learn the capture hotkeys instead, but I do accept that such a Quick Capture floating toolbar would server a need, so I am going to be adding it.

- after capturing only go to a "save as" dialog (not the popup window)
--- End quote ---
not possible currently; closest option is to have it show post capture dialog and just hit S when it shows.

- after giving a name to the captured file NOT going to the folder where the file has been saved
--- End quote ---
Tomo's post in answer to the automatic opening of folder after save as is correct, but the dialog has changed slightly since his version.  New dialog showing the option:

- how to capture a freehand region (as in faststone capture)
--- End quote ---
As indicated above, you can capture rectangular selections as instructed above.
If you want to do a real freehand grab of non-rectangular options, you have to do that from WITHIN the screenshot captor interface after doing a normal capture.  You'll find freehand and magic want selection modes from the Edit->SelectionMode menu.

I have a strong feeling that this kind of thing (free-hand cropping) of a capture region, is best performed AFTER a normal capture, where such selections can be more easily manipulated and operations can be undone, etc.

robbero:
Thank you Mouser for your (as always) great support!
Thank you Renegade and Tomos as well.

1) I wish I could avoid the popup box for every screenshot and go immediate to the "save as" dialogue (as in fastst.capt. or picpick or snagit). Would it be possible to add this feature in screenshot capture as well?
2) Thank you. That resolved my question.
3) I prefer to do direct a freehand capture without going in the edit menu. However it is not disturbing me as much as the "pop-up" menu before the "save-as" dialog.
I rarely make freehand screenshot captures but find the pop-up dialogue before every save-as dialogue. :)

BTW I almost never used the editor in any capture software.
Only when I need to manipulate some image file.
What could be done in 1 step, I prefer to do it in 1 step. :)

I have never used a Quick Capture floating toolbar (and will never do it). :)

I suppose there is a 3rd mode to work.
- Let it do by the software as most as possible and only change a setting once in a while for an optional different need (p.e. using a quick-menu in the system tray).

You know Mouser, you wrote that Screenshot Capt. is designed to make it work quick and easy. My idea is just that it does a lot of things but not always easy to do or (as p.e. in the examples in my questions above) with one or two clicks too much. Strange how perception is different between different users :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version