ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows system "aliases"?

(1/3) > >>

Josh:
Here is something I have been wanting for a while. I know this can be done with batch files, but I wanted to see if there was another way to handle this.

What I want to do is generate a set of aliases that execute commands I use on a routine basis, for example launching certain pages in internet explorer. Is there a way to do this so I can execute these commands from the start menu or the run dialog?

For example, I type cpanel into the run dialog, hit enter and it opens my Google apps control panel.

Thoughts?

40hz:
^AHK? Or pretty much any systems scripting language? :)

Josh:
Will AHK allow you to execute commands via the run dialog?

cyberdiva:
I'm not sure whether you're interested only in free programs, but if not, you might take a look at Hot Keyboard.  It works via hot keys and text shortcuts (which I much prefer to hot keys).  I don't think it makes use of the start menu or the run dialog.  You just type whatever hot key or text shortcut you wish, and it will instantly open a file, navigate to a website, etc., using either your default program/browser or another that you specify.  For example, when I type /sv, my Sieve file instantly opens.  (I use the / to be sure I don't accidentally trigger the shortcut when I don't mean to.)

A similar program is ActiveWords2.  It's more expensive than Hot Keyboard, but it allows you to install it on multiple computers and has a mechanism for preventing accidental triggering.  I own both programs and recommend them both.

jgpaiva:
Will AHK allow you to execute commands via the run dialog?
-Josh (September 10, 2012, 09:32 AM)
--- End quote ---
I believe it does. You should only need to put the .exe in a folder that is in $PATH.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version