topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: razer nostromo  (Read 4246 times)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
razer nostromo
« on: September 12, 2012, 02:05 AM »
anyone here use one of these beasties?

I've got the itch to get one and I don't know whether or not it's a worthwhile investment (help save me from myself!!)

I have a friend who uses one and he seems to like it, but the online reviews are mixed

FWIW I mostly play shooters (single player), but I'd like to think it would have uses beyond gaming

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: razer nostromo
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 05:57 AM »
I don't use the razor, but I did use the original n50 model and still use the follow-up n52 model.

I had never been a big fps player until BF1942 came out.  A friend of mine got me involved and in trying to figure out why I was so bad at the game, I discovered he was using an n50.  So I found one and gave it a try and haven't looked back!

I've used it also for non-fps games and have on ocassion come across other applications, that if I used more, I would probably get the Nostromo involved with that too.

Even for games where the controls are mostly asdw, it's far more comfortable to hit those keys on the Nostromo than on the keyboard.

As it turns out, despite my wonderful Nostromo, I still suck hugely in BF3 but at least now I don't have an over stressed and aching wrist from my left hand being all twisted up on the keyboard.

Cheers!
Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 09:52 AM »
I use the n52, and I just got the nostromo off of Woot a bit ago.  I swear by it.  I use it in FPS (BF2142, Section 8, Killing Floor, Borderlands, Arma 2, Payday, Sniper Elite, BFBC2/Vietnam) and MMOs, and other games.  In every game, it takes my hand off of the keyboard and puts the commands in a small area.  The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have enough (or dedicated) keys for the shifts, so you have to take a key away in order to get access to the other magnitudes of keys.  I have a G13 also, and though I love the fact that it has more keys, the n52/Nostromo fits the hand better- the G13 is truly a small keyboard, and so takes more retraining.

But get a nostromo and a programmable mouse (I have a naga, though I think if I had it to do over again, I'd get a Hex), and take a bit to learn what your patterns are in the way of controls that you use, and don't be afraid to tweak.  It might not make you better, but it will make your experience better.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 06:03 PM »
hmmm, I was kinda hoping you guys might talk me out of this ;D ;D

I think a NAGA is a bit over the top for my needs (not to mention my budget, or my co-ordination!),  but something else to consider when I get the urge to buy some new peripherals

many thanks, and still interested to hear others experiences

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 08:14 PM »
no one else? 

where's Nudone when you need him....

ruddyadam

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 04:13 PM »
I have used the Nostromo n50 for FPS games for years now because I found that using the keyboard really started hurting the back of my wrist.  When I switched to the n50, the pain went away.  So recently, I found that I really needed more keys so started using the keyboard, and the pain in my wrist returned.  I saw the Razer Nostromo (refurb) on sale at woot, and picked it up for $32 plus $5 shipping.  I just got it and the thing is beautiful, comfortable, soft, silent keys, and even the blue backlight is adjustable in the config software.  It also has macro support, which is awesome.  The only thing i'm not sure about is the thumbstick being easier (more precise) than the regular D-pad.  We will see.  Hopefully it will be as sturdy as my n50 which lasted 10+ years.

Overall, it's super comfortable, perfectly ergonomic, a definite upgrade, and worth it for the $37 I paid, IMO.

I'd say get it on sale.  Personally, I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't on sale for 50% off, but to each his own.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 04:19 PM by ruddyadam »