topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: List files Added or Removed and changes to plain txt files in given time  (Read 14545 times)

siddhu.iam

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It would be good to create a software that would keep a list of new files added or old files deleted and changes made to plain text files - over a user specified time and in a set of user specified directories. Providing start and stop buttons for creating the log would also be useful. I think it is possible with some command lines, but they are very confusing and hard to remember. Even if there are some tiny apps, I think they don't list the changes to plain text files in the given directory.

rsatrioadi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It can be done with version control system, especially with decentralized ones (e.g. Git or Mercurial), probably plus a script to do commits whenever a change (file created/deleted/edited) is made.

siddhu.iam

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So can I hope someone can soon make an easy to use software for that??????

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So can I hope someone can soon make an easy to use software for that??????

My ideal backup/versioning programme would do what you want - easily.
But I think it doesnt exist (not in the "easily" form anyways).

FWIW I'm currently using FileHamster, but that doesnt do exactly what you want either.
Tom

rsatrioadi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If my assumption that you are using Windows is true, then I'm sorry that I cannot help you now. I'm 400 miles away from my Windows machine, and I won't be there probably for another month.  :redface:

It' still a good idea, though, and I do hope someone can make this happen.  :D

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@OP: Does it need to be completely portable, or can it leverage .NET runtime?

siddhu.iam

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I wouldnt mind even if it requires .net framework, I'd just like it to do the job

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I thought it might be worth giving more info about this - in case you dont get anything better:

FWIW I'm currently using FileHamster, but that doesnt do exactly what you want either.

FileHamster ('Advanced' version) will backup any changes made to files within a watched folder, with the ability to comment on the backup.
You can then generate a report for export to text file, or 'to spreadsheet' (which opens automatically in my default programme).
The report will list:

• all backups made (or made within a period of time)
  • date/time
  • filesize
  • comments

Obviously new files will be included, but it doesnt mark them as new.
You can see within FileHamster if a file has been deleted - but not that easily and info not included in the report.

More info about using FH in a thread I started here Using FileHamster to keep track of status of a job. It's an app that could be developed hugely but they dont seem interested in new ideas - it's more or less just kept at maintenance level.
Tom

siddhu.iam

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
atleast please try to code this request:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=32770.0

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
atleast please try to code this request:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=32770.0
What do these requests have in common? :huh: (besides both being requested by you)

siddhu.iam

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
of course they dont have anything in common. Its just that I want you to take a look at it too.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Siddhu, are you still around? If so, are you still interested in this coding snack request? I can do this: by writing the program in C#, and using FileSystemWatcher. However, from the way you've described what you want, all you end up with is a text file listing the changes that occurred. A version control system gives you that, plus so much more, in that you can obtain/recover the state of your directory-tree from any given point in its history of changes. Have you researched version control? Or, perhaps a document management system, if your directories are mainly going to hold docs/pdfs/etc.

bugmagnet

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The other possibility, other than .NET, is to use WMI