ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Steal Windows 8 and Microsoft probably won't mind?

(1/4) > >>

40hz:
In a previous thread we were discussing Migiel de Icazza's analysis of why he felt Linux failed to gain more widespread adoption on the desktop.

Now, from the good folks over at MakeUseOf comes this op-ed piece that I think hits the nail on the head about something Microsoft could - and likely may do - to drastically increase Windows 8's chances for adoption and success in the same environment.

Thinking Of Stealing Windows 8? Microsoft Probably Won’t Mind [Opinion]
    September 7, 2012
    By Erez Zukerman

Stealing is wrong. Downloading software illegally, without paying for it, and then using it, is wrong. There are no two ways about it. That said, I can’t help but feel that some companies want you to break the law. Take Adobe for example, whose discriminatory international pricing scheme actively encourages piracy.

In truth, companies sometimes derive important advantages from users stealing their software — widespread adoption being just one example. And recently, I couldn’t help but notice a confluence of factors that made me feel that Microsoft really won’t be very sorry if you steal Windows 8. Here’s why
--- End quote ---

Right or wrong, the article does raise some important points about how having an app store, and gradually moving towards a closed (or at least more closely controlled) ecosystem, radically changes the business formula for Microsoft and its Windows users.

Read the full article here.

Carol Haynes:
Is it my imagination or does that look like Tim Minchin?

TaoPhoenix:
Sorry, I believe that "article" is of the purest cotton candy fluff - about as insubstantial and then sickening when you consume any of it.

It's purely the snark meme saying "go ahead, MS wants underground adoption blah blah." Sorry. Not if it means copyright infringement on that scale. *This* crowd should hopefully see through it. (Remember the SOPA PIPA ETC thread?)

It's that same stunt I ranted about a couple days ago on another thread. If you want it to be adopted, *make it something like Creative Commons truly free-as-in-beer at least*, even if not open source. Make a special "Community Edition". Then people can "share it" to their hearts content.

Instead, what this article refers to creates a permanent "Blackmail List" so that the MS execs can snicker and wink-wink-nod at the increased sales, but then when they need a good bat to whack someone with, they pull up your entry in the Terrorist Copyright Infringer list, and do a media slam on you. Sorry, not having any of that. (For context, some guy was saying he wanted to "explore piracy on sales with the same blah blah. I made him a special legit-to-share copy relabeled creative commons, and he magically backed away. Funny huh?)

40hz:
^Umm...did you actually read the referenced article? :)

TaoPhoenix:
^Umm...did you actually read the referenced article? :)
-40hz (September 08, 2012, 04:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, what parts of it I could before becoming nauseated. Still no mentions of Creative Commons Free Licensing. My points still stand.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version