ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

FREE Programming eBooks! (and a C++ book for C# devs)

<< < (2/3) > >>

wraith808:
Yeah... I know what you mean. They're just trying damn hard to drum up business, but it's bloody annoying. Had a few of those calls myself.

Still, I have to give them credit for the free ebooks.
-Renegade (September 08, 2012, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh.. I do too.  Especially after reading them.. and the fact that they continued to put them out.  The git one really helped me out.  And Smartgit looks pretty cool.

TaoPhoenix:
Emails and Phone Calls are different levels of things. I have a sandboxed email for precisely this stuff. But the minute I saw "give us your phone" I just blasted it with a fake one. To me, that crosses a line.

On a related note, one of the "third tier" life insurance companies called me. I'd ignored a lot of their cross-departmental follow up emails for a few weeks now. When they finally caught up with me, I shut their rep down before he could go into his whole "but our company is wonderful" speech. (Red Herring.) I jumped in and said, "Sure, I already know your company is wonderful. But do you offer a salary?" "No, but ..." "Well, there you go then." I hung up after a couple more minutes basically saying I suk at commission sales and not to call me unless he had a salary position to talk about.

Shades:
Where I lived there was a pharmacy store with help desk about 70 meters away that had a telephone number with the exact digits as mine except one digit swapped position between them (500508 and 508500 to be precise).

Guess what number I always fill in nowadays when sites ask me for my telephone number...

wraith808:
Emails and Phone Calls are different levels of things. I have a sandboxed email for precisely this stuff. But the minute I saw "give us your phone" I just blasted it with a fake one. To me, that crosses a line.
-TaoPhoenix (September 08, 2012, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are certain things where you're going to have cold calls and sales reps in addition to/instead of e-mail.  They're a high end component company, so I can understand the whole phone call thing.  But not to have an opt-in was what annoyed me.

dtsouers:
Here another two:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mssmallbiz/archive/2012/07/27/large-collection-of-free-microsoft-ebooks-for-you-including-sharepoint-visual-studio-windows-phone-windows-8-office-365-office-2010-sql-server-2012-azure-and-more.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mssmallbiz/archive/2012/07/30/another-large-collection-of-free-microsoft-ebooks-and-resource-kits-for-you-including-sharepoint-2013-office-2013-office-365-duet-2-0-azure-cloud-windows-phone-lync-dynamics-crm-and-more.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version