topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: CHS Request - Appending WindowsTitle, DateTime etc. within the clip  (Read 17048 times)

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I would like to request a feature, which will make the lives of researchers a lot less dreary :-)

While collecting background material from PDFs, web pages etc., I as a researchers need to keep on going back to the pdf file name, url, web page title etc. so as to include them in the word file, where I keep such reference snippets.

I am praying for a feature which can (perhaps through hotkey combinations) append information like Date & Time; Window Title of the Source, Source Type, URL etc. to the clip. Such a feature will be invaluable for writers.

Thanks a ton.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: CHS Request - Appending WindowsTitle, DateTime etc. within the clip
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 05:29 PM »
Hi m9833.

Can you elaborate and explain a bit more about how you would like it to work and how it would be used?

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 01:43 AM »
Hi Mouser,

Thank you for your quick response, and for giving me the opportunity to elaborate on my request.

I generally work on a paper or article by going through a number of other resources including web-pages, PDF and MS Word documents etc. Every time  I find something relevant - some text which I might use as a building block for my own arguments, or perhaps even cite in my article, I simply select and copy it in an MS Word document, which I call my idea book.

I do this researching, copying and pasting continuously over a period of a couple of hours. An important part of any writing is the ability to refer to the source, and in the first place to remember the source of the information one is using. To keep a track of the source of the text, I have copied and pasted, I generally go back to the document, and copy and paste (or type in) tracking information like the Window Title of the original source document, as well as its file name and URL, whenever applicable.

This is a repetitive and exhausting process, especially, when I am right now concentrating on using the ideas I have obtained to create an argument of own.  At times, I even forget to copy the source document's name/tiltle/url and am at a loss regarding, where the idea actually came from.

CHS offers some help to me by allowing me to include operators like %WindowTitle%, %FileName% and %DateTime% in the title of the clip, so that I have a lot of information at one place. But what I would really like would be the option of appending this information to the clip itself. Having this information available within the clip itself, will allow me to straightaway copy the information from a source, and paste it in my idea book, without having to remember and go back to the source multiple times, so as to get the relevant reference information immediately at my fingertips.

Perhaps this feature already exists in some form. If not, from the user's perspective, an option to append such information to the clip, with the help of %..% operators, can be provided in the options and preferences dialog. This way those who do not need this option can simply un-check the relevant preference box.

Of course, even after this information is there in the idea book, one will still need to enter it in a citation manager, for creating a bibliography and standard citation styles. But having such information already together appended to the text would help in making the entire process of referencing and citing a lot smoother.

I hope that my explanation is helpful towards clarifying my request, instead of making it more obscure. :-)

Thanks again.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 01:51 AM »
So you just want to be able to set some option (or use a special hotkey) that will paste not just the clip, but the clip plus extra info, using a kind of "template" that would let you add the extra % fields from the clip that are already stored with the clip.  Is that right?

I think this may have been requested before.  It would be pretty easy to add and I like the idea.  Expect to see it in the next version.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 02:00 AM »
Gee!!!! Thanks Mouser! Looking forward to seeing and using this feature. :-)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 05:29 AM »
@mouser: Thankyou! That could be quite handy! I would probably be able to make good use of such a facility, and have often wished for such - for similar reasons to @m9833.
Could I request that the user be able to define and preselect the "paste template" and its contents, and be able to establish a range of such "paste templates" to pick from?
This would be similar, for example, to the user's preset "Layouts" in CHS - which I happen to find very useful - and fast to switch between as well.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 08:29 AM »
A template approach as suggested by both Mouser and IainB will enable the user the exercise a lot of control over the appended text. Thanks for the idea.

For example a template can (probably) allow me to append a copied text in the following format, or in another format, if  I so wish:

(Blank line separating the copied text (or perhaps image) from the appended text)
(Dashed Line)
(Blank line separating the copied text (or perhaps image) from the dashed line)
This text has been copied on %DateTime%
The source of this text is %FileName% -- %WindowTitle% -- %URL% [Does this operator/field exist?]
(Blank Line)
(Starred Line)

:-)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 03:39 PM »
This might be the earlier request for something similar: CHS feature request: smart copy/paste of hyperlinks

I used to have a similar need to m9833's.  ClipMate has templates that are text files with placeholders for the clip elements.  That would be a useful addition to CHS, allowing customized output "on the fly" without needing further massage, and without the hailstorm of Alt-Tabs I used to have to do to collect assorted bits from a Web page, including its URL, and pasting into a new file.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 05:16 PM »
the hailstorm of Alt-Tabs
  ;D  ;D

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 06:12 PM »
the hailstorm of Alt-Tabs
Yes, very apt description of what happens.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 02:13 AM »
Here's a nice description of Clipmate's template and placeholder feature to which rjbull was refering:

http://www.clipmate....htm?ue_templates.htm
http://www.clipmate....p/7/ue_templates.htm
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 06:24 AM by m9833 »

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 03:04 AM »
Hi Mouser, Is it possible to Alpha test the feature, in case you have been able to integrate it in the version being worked on?   :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 03:43 AM »
Please try this new beta version with pasting templates:
https://www.donation...elpAndSpellSetup.exe
(or https://www.donation...AndSpellPortable.zip)

v2.16.01 - October 18, 2012
  • [Feature] Added new quick template, paste template menu, print template, and quick-template hotkey; all let you configure more elaborate text templates to be used when pasting or printing clips to add additional information and formatting.  See "Paste Template" tab in options.

Basically you can now set a paste template that will be used on EVERY paste (checkbox toggles), OR only when a special hotkey is used, OR create a menu of paste templates that are shown when you bring up the Shift+Click Paste menu for a clip (that's the menu you get after you bring up quick paste and then shift+click on an item).

Tip: The date format for clip dates comes from the CustomDate format on the "Clipboard" tab of options.

In the same Template options tab, you can also now set the template used when printing clips.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 08:43 AM »
 :Thmbsup:

Thanks a lot Mouser. I will try it and post any queries, comments or probable bugs in this post itself.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 08:46 AM »
The setup finished quickly and the program started and is running without any problems at all.

The first queries are here: :-)

1. How can one set the option to include the source URL, in case of web pages?

2. How can one choose a default template (or change the contents of the quick-template/paste-template)? The contents of both the text boxes are grayed out and un-editable, at my setup.

3. How can one insert a blank line in the template? I have tried "/n" but that's not it.

Thanks again, Mouser  :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 09:47 AM »
The contents of both the text boxes are grayed out and un-editable

Oops, sorry about that  :-[

Please download new version, then you can edit.
To include source url, use %Notes% (or %Notes.withprefix%).
Blank line is just a blank line in the template memo box.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 10:15 AM »
Phew!!!! Thanks for the quick bug fix. I am able to change the box texts now. :-)

I am not able to get the source URL from Firefox, though. This is the template, I have tried to use:

--------------------

The following text has been copied from %Title% (%Notes%)
 in %Application% on %CreationDateTime%

: - -

%clip%

--------------------

Am I missing something with regards to the %Notes% operator?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 10:56 AM »
Check your grid to make sure the URL is being captured in the Notes column; no point in us trying to debug the template feature if it's not even capturing the URL.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 02:13 PM »
@mouser: This is looking very useful. It is a feature that I have wanted for some time for all my applications. It is already there in OneNote - original Copy of text from the Clipboard always pastes into OneNote with the source URL anyway.

I have "EVERY" paste selected, and the CHS paste template as:
%clip%
--------------------
Captured %CreationDateTime% from %Application%:
%Notes.withprefix%
--------------------

The behaviour I am getting on Paste is:
  • If Paste is of the original Copy - i.e., immediately after Copy has been made, then the CHS template does not function. I think this may be because my AHK script forces the Paste to be made from the Clipboard buffer, with all formatting intact, so it bypasses the CHS processing.

• If Paste is of a prior Copy in the CHS stack, then the template functions fine.    :Thmbsup:
    However, there is also some sporadic (doesn't happen every time) creation of new "canvas" rectangles on pasting into OneNote, rather than the Paste content staying within the canvas I had left the cursor in prior to making the paste - i.e., the pasted text does not always go where I wanted it to go. I have not figured out the conditions necessary to make this consistently repeatable yet.

ALSO: When I try to filter the Notes field for "http" in them, in a virtual folder, the filter does not seem to work (see image below). It may be that I am doing something wrong, or that you have not enabled Notes as a filtering field.

CHS - Notes filter not work 01.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 02:46 PM »
Regarding filter, can you try using the field "Description" instead of Notes.. I named it Description in the database for some unknown reason.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 02:48 PM »
I think this may be because my AHK script forces the Paste to be made from the Clipboard buffer, with all formatting intact, so it bypasses the CHS processing.

Yes, remember, CHS does not take over normal Ctrl+V pasting.. it's only going to do this if you paste using the CHS paste function.  Note that you can however set a custom hotkey that will paste the last clip using the template.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 02:50 PM »
However, there is also some sporadic (doesn't happen every time) creation of new "canvas" rectangles on pasting into OneNote, rather than the Paste content staying within the canvas I had left the cursor in prior to making the paste
'

see if you can find any clue to why this happens.. it's possible it has to do with CHS not giving the application (onenote) time to refocus.. i could try adding a tweak option to give this more time to try to see if this is indeed the cause..

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 07:13 PM »
Regarding filter, can you try using the field "Description" instead of Notes.. I named it Description in the database for some unknown reason.
Thanks. That works!
I only just noticed the error message (buried right at the bottom of the screen) when I used the "wrong" SQL filter:    :-[
Error X19: DBISAM Engine Error # 10051 Filter error for the table 'ClipTable' - Expected column name but instead found Notes in filter expression at line 1, column 34 [Hint check virtual group sql]

...CHS does not take over normal Ctrl+V pasting.. it's only going to do this if you paste using the CHS paste function.  Note that you can however set a custom hotkey that will paste the last clip using the template.
Thanks for this tip.

see if you can find any clue to why this happens.. it's possible it has to do with CHS not giving the application (onenote) time to refocus.. i could try adding a tweak option to give this more time to try to see if this is indeed the cause..
OK, shall report back after I have done some more investigating.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 12:45 PM »
Check your grid to make sure the URL is being captured in the Notes column; no point in us trying to debug the template feature if it's not even capturing the URL.

You are right. The URL does not appear in the Notes column. Do I need to make changes in the settings for it to do so?  :tellme:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 01:01 PM »
Make sure you have the option checked to grab URLs as notes, on Capture Options tab:
Screenshot - 10_19_2012 , 1_00_42 PM.png