topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi being manufactured in the UK  (Read 2778 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Raspberry Pi being manufactured in the UK
« on: September 06, 2012, 05:14 PM »
pi.jpg

Since it's debut in February 2012, the Raspberry Pi has taken the technological world by storm.  From personal tinkering, to science experiments, and even schools using them to teach students the principles of computing and engineering; the possibilities seem endless.

Now, it has been revealed, that they will be manufactured in the UK.  This (for me anyway) is a huge move forward, as it gets the UK back into the industry of building useful things.  

Before now every one of the credit-card sized machines have rolled off production lines in Chinese factories.

Everybody in the world, knows, and understands why, most tech products are produced in countries such as China (The reason being, is that it is CHEAP!).  However, a deal that has been agreed and signed between Premier Farnell (The distributor for the 'Pi') and Sony (Who will manufacturer them) will see 300,000 of these innovative and useful boards, created here in the UK (Wales to be precise).

The UK-made Raspberry Pis will be assembled at Sony UK Technology's factory in Pencoed, South Wales. About 30 jobs will be created as a result of the deal which will mean most of the Pis being distributed by Premier Farnell will be made in Britain.

One can only speculate on the quality increase that will come from this deal, but I would imagine that Western Manufacturing laws, would dictate that these products will be much higher quality.

Do you own a Pi?  Think this is going to do the product some good?  Let us know!

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk.../technology-19510040
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:21 PM by Stephen66515 »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Raspberry Pi being manufactured in the UK
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 06:00 PM »
Yes and Yes.

But then I think UK production was always the intention.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 09:04 PM »
No and yes.

Although I wonder if the UK manufacturer will be able to resist the urge to flop the ports to the exact opposite side from where they currently are - just to make it a little more British? :P

Ok...I'm just kidding m'lords and ladies. Now please put down those rocks, bottles, and dead cats? ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:26 PM by 40hz »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 04:03 AM »
Hang on a mo it never was American - maybe they should flip everything for the US market!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 05:49 AM »
^Touché!  ;D ;D ;D