topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 9:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The MS Excel Clipboard  (Read 3724 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
The MS Excel Clipboard
« on: September 04, 2012, 07:27 AM »
Does anyone else here absolutely HATE the Excel clipboard and how it works?

I mean, once you do anything, the clipboard is emptied.

Is there any way to avoid this abomination? Can the heresy of the Excel clipboard be saved? Is there salvation for those of us damned to the sulphurous flames of Excel?

I would really just like to be able to keep what's on the clipboard.

(Can CHS give me hotkeys for specific clips so that I can paste those specific clips without using my mouse or any UI? i.e. Just a set of hotkeys?)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The MS Excel Clipboard
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:57 AM »
(Can CHS give me hotkeys for specific clips so that I can paste those specific clips without using my mouse or any UI? i.e. Just a set of hotkeys?)

The way I use CHS at the moment is with the favourites folder in a sub-menu of the popup list.
So for me I would have to press:
  • Ctrl+Alt+V [for popup - customised I think]
  • q [for the favourites menu]
  • [and the number of the clip on the favourites list]

you can move the favourites menu up to the main menu, then it would be just two steps.

If you add a new favourite, it will go to the top of the list (#1) - thus screwing up "pasting-without-thinking".**
Because of that I now use the option to move a pasted clip to the top of the list (i.e. sort by last use) - which means I do have to look at what I'm doing.

** [edit] see thread How to order clips in menu of virtual folder? [/edit]
Tom
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 03:45 AM by tomos »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:15 AM »

The way I use CHS at the moment is with the favourites folder in a sub-menu of the popup list.
So for me I would have to press:
  • Ctrl+Alt+V [for popup - customised I think]
  • q [for the favourites menu]
  • [and the number of the clip on the favourites list]

you can move the favourites menu up to the main menu, then it would be just two steps.

If you add a new favourite, it will go to the top of the list (#1) - thus screwing up "pasting-without-thinking". Because of that I now use the option to move a pasted clip to the top of the list (i.e. sort by last use) - which means I do have to look at what I'm doing.

Thanks for the suggestion there. Unfortunately, it's a bit too slow for me for what I'm doing at the moment. I really need something that I can do blind from the keyboard. Otherwise, it's just as much work. Actually, I might just try that and see... There's always CTRL+Z, right? :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:25 AM »
CHS will let you set a hotkey to bring up a menu under your cursor of all clips in a chosen group, and you can order the items in a group to be constant.

So that you can access any items with two key presses, one to key to bring up the group menu, and then another to paste the selected clip.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:42 AM »
CHS will let you set a hotkey to bring up a menu under your cursor of all clips in a chosen group, and you can order the items in a group to be constant.

So that you can access any items with two key presses, one to key to bring up the group menu, and then another to paste the selected clip.

Ok. I see how to do it now. I didn't see it in the help file. That works for what I need now. :)

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 05:40 PM »
Strictly speaking, (to the best of my limited knowledge) I don't think Excel has a clipboard...  It just uses the Windows clipboard like everything else...
It's interesting to note how many different formats Excel sends to the clipboard...
http://office.micros...x#BMclipboardformats
So when you want to keep what's on the clipboard, what parts do you actually want to keep?