ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

instant linux on winxp

<< < (10/11) > >>

kalos:
VMWare and such are very slow

my solution would be to utilize live cd's, but without running them from a cd player, which makes them sluggish

is there a virtual cd player that can load a live cd?

40hz:
VMWare and such are very slow-kalos (September 13, 2012, 04:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

That depends largely on the machine and available RAM.

my solution would be to utilize live cd's, but without running them from a cd player, which makes them sluggish

is there a virtual cd player that can load a live cd?

--- End quote ---

Think about it... A virtual cd cannot create a separate OS environment because the cd player itself is running under the same operating system it's loaded on. So to go back to a previous post, you can only have one OS in control of a physical machine (i.e. one that is hardware.)

So unless you put the second OS on some sort of virtual machine, it can't be done. Sorry. :)

-----

Did you try running Linux from a USB2 key yet? That's much faster than optical media once it boots up.

Shades:
Link to externally hosted screenshot of Portable Ubuntu Remix and Another screenshot.

Kalos should really consider running Portable Ubuntu. The screenshots hidden behind the links above show what it looks like to have Windows XP and Ubuntu running at the same time. Exactly what he wants. It doesn't require any messing about with Virtual Machines and it runs fine on a P4 3GHz, 2 GByte of RAM and a Sata2 harddisk. Ran such a setup for about six months without any problem on either (OS) side. Sold the PC afterwards after showing this to someone.

Then again, in my own personal opinion, virtual machines are the way to go, if you don't have spare hardware lying around.

40hz:
Kalos should really consider running Portable Ubuntu.
-Shades (September 13, 2012, 05:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

@kalos - I'm +1 w/Shades here.  Even if Portable Ubuntu isn't the most recent version, or being actively maintained, it does do exactly what you're looking to accomplish.

Shades:
You can update the included Ubuntu to a higher version. That worked also right out of the box. Granted, it takes time, but hey, it that is the only thing...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version