topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IE change  (Read 3376 times)

pinto12345

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IE change
« on: September 02, 2012, 04:02 PM »
Have always been with IE want to change. Hit on crome a time or two but went back to IE. Where would you suggest trying to look I do little IM and some sales. All light work but would like to try something else. When you get out a little you see other things. Where would a old man start at . Thinking of letting IE go. Need a push, in the right direction. Thanks Larry

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IE change
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 04:11 PM »
www.opera.com

I suggest this as a strong fan of Opera AND someone who has been stung by Firefox's upgrade policy, my hatred of Chromes constant crashes and my hate of IE.

I am sure many people here would recommend other browsers, so, don't take my word for it, plenty of opinions on browsers can be found right here on DonationCoder :)

Welcome to DoCo by the way :) - Nice to see a new face.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 06:33 PM »
Welcome Larry. I believe you will find consensus in ditching IE but won't find any as far as which other browser to go to.

On balance I am happiest with firefox but its RAM, CPU and how poorly flash works have pushed me to Chrome and Opera. Mostly for geeky, experimental purposes I have tried Maxthon, SlimBrowser, K-Meleon and others. My earlier internet days were almost exclusively Seamonkey's predecessor Netscape.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 08:56 PM »
I like IE and have no intention of switching.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 09:03 PM »
This image pretty much sums up my thoughts on web browsers....and yes, I use chrome and have had zero issues with it. Not once has it crashed, I have all of the functionality I need, and it is very snappy and quick to respond.

browsers.jpgIE change

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 11:17 PM »
I prefer chromium to google chrome.  Essentially chromium is the open source browser that google uses as a starting point. Then they add some stuff to track you.  All the extensions for chrome I've tried have worked with chromium. Also you can get a chrome-win32.zip file that doesn't require an install.

There are always sites that work better with one browser than another. So I have Firefox for secondary browser and also have Opera. But I use chromium 9 times out of 10.

Chromium has a lot of functionality built in. That was what attracted me to Opera back in the day. I ran Opera 8.51 for years after everyone upgraded to newer versions.

Chromium has a nice feature where you can set it to block all plugins.  If you want to play a clip or sound sample, you just right click on it then click to enable playing that item.  Saves the trouble of white listing sites etc.. For the very few sites that don't like the delay while I right click, I just open Firefox.

The main selling point for me with chromium is it loads off the drive pronto! I set it to open to a blank page. Even if my HD is busy, such as dong a malware scan, chromium comes right up.  Firefox I used to run out of a ram disk to get a similar response.  There may be bad things about chromium. But it is fast. No doubt there. :)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 11:25 PM by MilesAhead »