ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

It's about ... oldish films

<< < (4/12) > >>

sword:
"Wait Until Dark" Efram Zimbalist Jr. , Audry Hepburn, Allen Arkin, good supporting cast.

mouser:
Just wanted to add my praise for Diana Rigg as Emma Peel.

barney:
When it was on, The Avengers was one (1) of my cannot miss TV shows.  She seemed to be the embodiment of the heroine of some of the novels I'd read.  Memory fails, inexorably, but some memories never pale  ;).  And body aside  :o, she had an unforgettable face.

40hz:
So what do you guys think of these old movies?  have they stood the test of time?  I've been sorely disappointed by the last 3-5 years of Hollywood's movies, I was wondering how these "Golden Era" movies have stood up to those who maybe were familiar with them before we got desensitized to the sheer quantity of produced movies.
-superboyac (September 01, 2012, 11:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think they hold up remarkably well as entertainment. Few required deep thought or attempted to break new ground. But that wasn't what they were created to do. Movies of the 30s and the 40s were primarily examples of escapism. The US studios pretty much left 'deep & heavy' to the European filmmakers back then.

I also mostly prefer these oldies in their original B&W format. I still don't like "colorization." Fortunately, that ill-conceived vogue seems to have run its course.
 8)

40hz:
Everybody remembers Diana Rigg as Emma Peel in her trademark jumpsuits:

But she was also a very good Shakespearean actress and a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company. So if you get a chance, check out Peter Hail's 1968 semi-surreal film version of A Midsummer Night's Dream where Diana plays Helena. You can also see two other great British actresses: Helen Mirren (Hermia) and Judi Dench (Titania) in  the same production. Hail's version follows the original play very closely and is probably one of the best film versions out there.

Heres a clip:

:Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version