topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: It's about ... oldish films  (Read 24155 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's about ... oldish films
« on: September 01, 2012, 07:41 PM »
Comments I've seen here lead me to believe a few of you might be able (i.e., old enough  ;D) to help me out.  At the moment The Band Wagon (Fred Astaire, Cyd Charisse) is distracting me from the Web code I should be writing.  And it has brought to mind a couple of questions. 

First is whether Fred actually did his own singing. 

Second is a rumour I've heard in the past that Fred did a movie with a female dancer who out-danced him to the point that he refused to work with her again.  If that's true, what was her name?  'Twasn't Cyd, methinks, for she was in at least one (1) other movie with him that I can recall (although not the name  :().  (Or am I remembering her with Gene Kelly  :-\?)

Anybody have any recall on either question?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: It's about ... oldish films
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 09:17 PM »
My mom used to make me watch Fred Astaire movies as a kid.  I always thought he was overrated. I never understood the hype.  I liked that Danny Gatton guy.  There was this movie from those days where the 'new' jazz guys were teaching the classical musicians how to improvise.  I'd love it if someone remembered the name of that movie. :)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 09:33 PM »
My mom used to make me watch Fred Astaire movies as a kid.  I always thought he was overrated.

Pretty much.  Gene Kelly was better, methinks.  But Fred did have his moments.  Loved his movies with Ginger Rogers (watching now, The Barkleys of Broadway) - you know the joke, I'm certain:  she did everything he did, but backwards and in high heels.  (Also had better hip swing  :P.)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 10:00 PM »
Second is a rumour I've heard in the past that Fred did a movie with a female dancer who out-danced him to the point that he refused to work with her again.  If that's true, what was her name?

I think that's a rumor that grew in the telling about Eleanor Powell, "Queen of Tap," who was the only female dancer Fred ever publicly acknowledged was better than him - although he restricted his compliment to tap dancing. Lovely girl with an adorable personality and an unbelievable tap dancer. (Note: I've heard the same story told about the stunning Juliet Prowse.)

go-eleanor-go.jpg

Her performance with Fred in the Begin the Beguine number from Broadway Melody is her signature piece. Good article about her here.

P.S. You don't have to be that old. All thats needed is a mother and father who loved to dance and watch all the old musicals. I must have seen most of those movies from the 30s and 40s at least a dozen times each when I was growing up. :mrgreen:

---------------------

Note: agree w/barney - Kelly was much better than Fred. And so was Danny Kaye, who is probably the most underrated Broadway hoofer of them all. Danny could do it all - from classic ballet to soft shoe - and all points in-between. :up:

Addendum: Check out Danny w/Vera Ellen in this number:

:Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 10:26 PM by 40hz »

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 11:39 PM »
Note: agree w/barney - Kelly was much better than Fred. And so was Danny Kaye, who is probably the most underrated Broadway hoofer of them all. Danny could do it all - from classic ballet to soft shoe - and all points in-between. :up:

+1.
Definitely concur.  Seems to me that Danny was much more accomplished than Fred, but Fred had all the attention at that time, and Danny's ventures into comedy created much more attention than his dancing.  I recall seeing him doing a couple of ballet routines ... very graceful, indeed ... and he could hold his own with Astaire & Kelly, methinks, in just about any venue.

Thanks for the reference about Eleanor Powell.  I remember her, I think, and remember (after being reminded) Fred's semi-tribute (I really think he was jealous/envious  ;D).  I'd much rather it have been Juliet Prowse, though ... had a teenage letch for her well past my teenage years  :-[ :P.  I remember her being praised as having the best legs in show-business, but that may just have been a Frank Sinatra quote I'm remembering  :-\.  At any rate, Juliet Prowse, Cyd Charisse, Ginger Rogers, and Mitzi Gaynor are the female dances I recall most - and all were teenage lust objects for me  :-*... I was a dirty old man before my time  :P :P

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 11:51 PM »
Danny Kaye!  Thanks 40.  The movie I think I was thinking of was A Song Is Born.

I'll have to rewatch it, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

So what do you guys think of these old movies?  have they stood the test of time?  I've been sorely disappointed by the last 3-5 years of Hollywood's movies, I was wondering how these "Golden Era" movies have stood up to those who maybe were familiar with them before we got desensitized to the sheer quantity of produced movies.

Also...ok guys, there are two movies that I once liked as a kid, but I have ZERO idea what the title/actor/etc is so I've never been able to find them.  Here they are:
--A suspense movie with a blind girl.  A thief comes into her apartment and there's a whole thing that happens with her turning the lights off, the phone, and some other stuff I don't remember.  Very fun movie.

--This movie is black and white and takes place entirely on one subway train trip.  The whole thing is about a bully who comes on the train and how people react to it, i think.  But the main feature is that it's literally just one scene on the train the whole movie.

I haven't seen these movies in maybe 20 years.  help!!

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 12:13 AM »
--A suspense movie with a blind girl.  A thief comes into her apartment and there's a whole thing that happens with her turning the lights off, the phone, and some other stuff I don't remember.  Very fun movie.

Not certain, but think that was Wait Until Dark.  At least, that was about a blind woman in an invaded apartment.

I remember seeing the subway movie, but have no recollection of the title.  I'm kinda partial to the old black-and-whites  :up: (especially the old sci-fi  :Thmbsup:), but don't remember titles worth a damn  :down:.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 12:32 AM »

Not certain, but think that was Wait Until Dark.  At least, that was about a blind woman in an invaded apartment.

I remember seeing the subway movie, but have no recollection of the title.  I'm kinda partial to the old black-and-whites  :up: (especially the old sci-fi  :Thmbsup:), but don't remember titles worth a damn  :down:.
The Incident !! :Thmbsup:

I'll snark myself on this one...let me google that for you.  Shut up.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 01:46 AM »
Enjoy guys, the famous Benny Goodman scene.  I was enjoying this years before I even knew or could play jazz:
From-Classical-to-Jazz-0-02-52-299.png
http://min.us/mQ43u6A8m/1e

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 03:02 AM »
So what do you guys think of these old movies?  have they stood the test of time?  I've been sorely disappointed by the last 3-5 years of Hollywood's movies, I was wondering how these "Golden Era" movies have stood up to those who maybe were familiar with them before we got desensitized to the sheer quantity of produced movies.

Dunno 'bout the rest, but I'll watch Singing in the Rain any time it comes on TV.  Then there's On the Waterfront, or Guys and Dolls, or White Christmas, or ...  Don't think current filmology can even begin to hold a candle to the stuff I watched as a youngling.  Those had plot and actors, both of which seem to be sadly lacking in today's movie world.  But I'm really a fan of the old black-and-white sci-fi movies.  Who could out-perform Exeter  :-\ :P?!?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 07:41 AM »
Because I have a Katherine Hepburn jones, my all time favorite oldies are Bringing Up Baby

baby.jpg

followed byDesk Set

deskset.jpg

followed by all the other classics in no particular order: The African Queen, Citizen Kane, It's a Wonderful Life, Casablanca....yadda-yadda...but only after I get my dose of Kate!!! :-* ;D

kate.jpg
Kate - the original "Geek Goddess."

For Noir oldies...anything by Hitchcock of course, although The Third Man with the terrific city sewer chase scene and switch ending; and the eerie dreamlike cold war era Keeper of the Flame (finally out on DVD) with it's cautionary message are both well worth a watch.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 08:09 AM »

+1.
Definitely concur.  Seems to me that Danny was much more accomplished than Fred, but Fred had all the attention at that time, and Danny's ventures into comedy created much more attention than his dancing.  I recall seeing him doing a couple of ballet routines ... very graceful, indeed ... and he could hold his own with Astaire & Kelly, methinks, in just about any venue.

Thanks for the reference about Eleanor Powell.  I remember her, I think, and remember (after being reminded) Fred's semi-tribute (I really think he was jealous/envious  ;D).  I'd much rather it have been Juliet Prowse, though ... had a teenage letch for her well past my teenage years  :-[ :P.  I remember her being praised as having the best legs in show-business, but that may just have been a Frank Sinatra quote I'm remembering  :-\.  At any rate, Juliet Prowse, Cyd Charisse, Ginger Rogers, and Mitzi Gaynor are the female dances I recall most - and all were teenage lust objects for me  :-*.

No shame in lusting for Juliet Prowse. At least half the male population who were "of age" did. (And yes...her legs were awesome. Not just for their looks either. This lady knew how to use them. Easily one of the most talented dancers to ever appear on stage or screen.)

.. I was a dirty old man before my time  :P :P

Me too. I always liked the "older girls."  Still do - even if they eventually were my age - and are now mostly "younger women" to me. ;D Even in my youth, I generally considered 23 to be the minimum age for any woman I'd be interested in.

I still thank heaven for former Shakespearian actress Diana Riggs and the Brit TV series The Avengers. Her Emma Peel character opened up my impressionable young mind to what women might be if men would just stop trying to turn them into domesticated farm animals. Mrs. Emma Peel was smart, elegant, wholesomely sexy, witty - and could kick some serious butt when she needed to. This was a woman who didn't care to lead, and definitely wouldn't follow, any man. Although (if he were lucky) she might elect to walk alongside him as an equal. Now that was definitely an idea ahead of its time when The Avengers first came out.

diana-rigg101.jpg

Ah Diana! Few ever wore the LBD with such authority...:Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:20 AM by 40hz »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 02:21 PM »
The legs under Diana Riggs....they prove to be (a near "lethal") weapon against my wedding vows.  :-[

She is definitely a sight for sore eyes!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 02:47 PM »
Enjoy guys, the famous Benny Goodman scene.  I was enjoying this years before I even knew or could play jazz:
(see attachment in previous post)
just starting number 3 of 6  :Thmbsup:
(#3 isn't playing actually, so I've moved on to #4 - but maybe that's just a rush hour hiccup..)

EDIT/ - scratch that last line - it loaded after a couple of minutes
Tom
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 02:52 PM by tomos »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 06:16 PM »
Enjoy guys, the famous Benny Goodman scene.  I was enjoying this years before I even knew or could play jazz:
(see attachment in previous post)
just starting number 3 of 6  :Thmbsup:
(#3 isn't playing actually, so I've moved on to #4 - but maybe that's just a rush hour hiccup..)

EDIT/ - scratch that last line - it loaded after a couple of minutes
you can just download the file and play it next time.  that's what's cool about that site.  If it doesn't play, just take the file and play it on your computer.

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 06:25 PM »
"Wait Until Dark" Efram Zimbalist Jr. , Audry Hepburn, Allen Arkin, good supporting cast.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Just wanted to add my praise for Diana Rigg as Emma Peel.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 07:40 PM »
When it was on, The Avengers was one (1) of my cannot miss TV shows.  She seemed to be the embodiment of the heroine of some of the novels I'd read.  Memory fails, inexorably, but some memories never pale  ;).  And body aside  :o, she had an unforgettable face.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 10:47 PM »

I think they hold up remarkably well as entertainment. Few required deep thought or attempted to break new ground. But that wasn't what they were created to do. Movies of the 30s and the 40s were primarily examples of escapism. The US studios pretty much left 'deep & heavy' to the European filmmakers back then.

I also mostly prefer these oldies in their original B&W format. I still don't like "colorization." Fortunately, that ill-conceived vogue seems to have run its course.
 8)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 11:12 PM »
Everybody remembers Diana Rigg as Emma Peel in her trademark jumpsuits:

rigg1.jpg

But she was also a very good Shakespearean actress and a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company. So if you get a chance, check out Peter Hail's 1968 semi-surreal film version of A Midsummer Night's Dream where Diana plays Helena. You can also see two other great British actresses: Helen Mirren (Hermia) and Judi Dench (Titania) in  the same production. Hail's version follows the original play very closely and is probably one of the best film versions out there.

A_Midsummer_Nights_Dream_(1968_film).jpg

Heres a clip:

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 11:24 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 12:44 AM »
I'm going to hire a personal assistant one day soon.  Her only job will be to take all the information in 40hz posts, print out the relevant wikipedia references and other interesting related articles, get me the movies queued up on Netflix, have it ready for me on my desk when I come home.   :D

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 03:27 AM »
Old movies? Oh, yes.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 07:54 AM »
I'm going to hire a personal assistant one day soon.  Her only job will be to take all the information in 40hz posts, print out the relevant wikipedia references and other interesting related articles, get me the movies queued up on Netflix, have it ready for me on my desk when I come home.   :D

Check out the OpenCulture website.  :-* That should keep you occupied until then. ;D

OC is one of the best curated cultural news/collection sites out there. :Thmbsup:

Want more? Add in TEDTalks, ArsTechnica and OSNews for tech; Groklaw and TechDirt for tech legal news and scandals; LinuxInsider, Phoronix, and Unixmen for 'NIX' stuff; QuietEarth for weird movie updates; Boing-Boing for geek potpourri, and...well it's a long list of places I hang out in. That'll get you started anyway.
 :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:16 PM by 40hz »

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 03:58 PM »
@40hz
Thanks for this list and all your previous help and advice.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 04:15 PM »
^My pleasure. :)