ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

It's about ... oldish films

<< < (6/12) > >>

Edvard:
Hands down, my favorite black and white film would be...
Harvey

:Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Of course, I'm a big fan of black and white sci-fi movies as well, but Harvey just trumps everything.

barney:
I'm more a fan of b&w sci-fi, but I don't recall a Jimmy Stewart film I ever disliked.  And I don't recall anything in the last two (2) decades that approaches Harvey for quality  :P.

mahesh2k:
I am tired of reboot and the sequel movies that are in the multiplex these days. I was checking some of the oldies - "The shining", "2001" and "Clockwork Orange". I wonder why directors don't come out with some good movies like these.

40hz:
I'm more a fan of b&w sci-fi, but I don't recall a Jimmy Stewart film I ever disliked.  And I don't recall anything in the last two (2) decades that approaches Harvey for quality  :P.
-barney (September 05, 2012, 05:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 on Jimmy Stewart and the film Harvey. I still think it's his best. Even better than It's a Wonderful Life and easily as good as Vertigo.

For sci-fi there were some true B&W oldie classics. I was very partial to The Thing from Another World (1951) based on John Campbell's story Who Goes There. And let's not forget King Kong and all those wonderful truly awful Japanese "radiation monster" gems such as Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, etc. etc. etc.

There were also some really good horror flicks. :tellme: The 1962 original Carnival of Souls is surprisingly scary for such a low budget film. Much scarier than most horror flicks that came before or after. You can watch or download it from the Internet Archive website. Link here. If you haven't seen it yet be sure to give it a go. It's usually good for some weird dreams the night you watch it for the first time. :up:

barney:
I'm kinda partial to The Thing, with Matt Dillon aka James Arness as the monster.  The Kurt Russell release I saw left me cold - colder than the climate it depicted  :P.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version