Yes, the Load Hive and Unload Hive menu elements would be,
Don't know why they are greyed out.
You have to select the HKLM top/main key first.
Then this option is enabled.
BTW: If you are asked for an name just chose smtg random like 'XYZ'...
it's only for to add an temporary sub-key to view the loaded hive in
and have no other issue.
If you are finished with your modification use Unload Hive afterwards.
found a few screen shots about this issue:http://blogs.technet...gistry-settings.aspx
- - -
And from : http://technet.micro...ibrary/cc732157.aspx
Load or Unload Registry Hives
Loading a registry hive
To load or unload registry hives, use Registry Editor.
The Load Hive… and Unload Hive… commands affect only the HKEY_USERS and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE keys
and are active only when these predefined keys are selected.
When you load a hive into the registry, the hive becomes a subkey of one of these keys.
To load a hive into the registry
1. Open Registry Editor.
2. Click either the HKEY_USERS key or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key.
3. On the File menu, click Load Hive….
4. Find the hive you want to load and click it.
5. Click Open.
6. In Key Name, type the name that you want to assign to the hive and then click OK.
Unloading a registry hive
To unload a registry hive
1. Open Registry Editor
2. Select a hive that you have previously loaded onto your system
3. On the File menu, click Unload Hive….