topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: modular, borderless monitors suggestions please?  (Read 5549 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
modular, borderless monitors suggestions please?
« on: August 30, 2012, 12:21 PM »
Let's say I were to build a wall of monitors using those modular monitors you see in fancy places like NASA.  Can people suggest to me the absolute best monitors for something like this?  Money is not an object.

Ideally, it should be borderless monitors so when they are placed in a grid formation, the lines in between the physical monitors are as invisible as possible.

I need some good brands and models.  I am also interested in any type of large touchscreen technology as well.  For now, I am assuming that Microsoft Pixelsense is the best thing out there.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: modular, borderless monitors suggestions please?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 12:57 PM »
Money no object? Simple. Contact the top 3 manufactures out there and get them to bid on whatever you have envisioned. :D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 01:03 PM »
Money no object? Simple. Contact the top 3 manufactures out there and get them to bid on whatever you have envisioned. :D
I know...but I don't know who they are.  I was hoping one of you follows these things and would be like "You MUST get this one..."

I've already contacted MS for Pixelsense, that's the only one I know about.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 01:17 PM »
Well, Samsung and LG are the ones I know best. But I think Samsung has eclipsed LG there. However, Samsung uses some third party manufacturers to do a lot of that as well. One of them I have an intense hatred for, and would not recommend.

Sorry - too much to drink... need to melt my mind with a video or something.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 02:16 PM »
Just Googled for "lcd video wall" and got 10 different suppliers in the 10 first results...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 04:16 PM »
Just Googled for "lcd video wall" and got 10 different suppliers in the 10 first results...
seriously?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 04:58 PM »
http://www.samsung.c...utions/LH46CKTLBB/ZA

I like that one.  First, because it's Samsung and not a startup, for maintenance issues down the line.  Secondly, Samsung is supposed to have the best display technology.  I'd like to see what Sony has...

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 03:17 AM »

I like that one.

Native resolution is extremely low for a 46" screen (1366 x 768) - I know you can bump that up but it's never as good as the native resolution (I believe).
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 03:09 PM »

I like that one.

Native resolution is extremely low for a 46" screen (1366 x 768) - I know you can bump that up but it's never as good as the native resolution (I believe).
good point.  Yes, I want as high a resolution as possible.  I'm going to say 1080p minimum.  I don't think, other than Apple's retina display, anyone has any pc displays that can go higher than 1080p. 

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 03:33 PM »
I don't think, other than Apple's retina display, anyone has any pc displays that can go higher than 1080p.

Don't be too sure about that... :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 04:02 PM »
I don't think, other than Apple's retina display, anyone has any pc displays that can go higher than 1080p.

Don't be too sure about that... :)
Not sure I saw what you meant to show me.  I see that there's a resolution there that's listed as higher than 1080p with a 144dpi.  I should clarify, what's unique about Apple's retina display is the pixel density which is 300dpi I think.

For the purposes of this discussion, I guess I don't need pixel density since it's going to be a video wall.  But I do think i want 1080p minimum for each monitor.  Why?  Let's say I have 9 monitors, and I want to use just one to show a 1080p video.  I want that video to look right or good or whatever.  I don't want a monitor with less than 1080p playing a 1080p video.  Now, if any of these video wall monitors are higher than 1080p (I don't think it exists or is available currently) that isn't necessarily good because then a 1080p playing in fullscreen will have to upscale or something.  Since 1080p is the standard right now, maybe that's what I'm looking for.

After a few hours of research yesterday, it's looking like a 1080p Samsung video wall is the ideal solution right now.  Unless I find something better, I'll contact them next week.

The other thing I don't understand: what is the difference between Microsoft's Pixelsense computer, and other large touchscreen monitors that can run Windows on it?  Pixelsense has some cool, custom software on it...that's the only thing I see.  The laternative, a regular Windows 7 installation on a very large touchscreen, seems like it would be more flexible since I can use all the regular Windows freeware/software on it.  But it wouldn't have some of the really nifty features of Pixelsense.  Maybe I'll have both: a Pixelsense table, and another wall-mounted regular Windows touchscreen.  One can be used for small collaborative meetings (Pixelsense), and the other can be used for doing less cool looking, but more poweruser activities, using touch controls.