Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 31, 2014, 06:28:03 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Free DonationCoder.com Member Kit: Submit Request.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What went wrong with Linux on the Desktop  (Read 18876 times)
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2012, 04:17:18 PM »

Does such a thing exist for any of these services?

Josh
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »

Why would Google spend time doing this, Tux? There are far too many competing services to justify this. Plus, if you are syncing from a dropbox account, wouldn't the data ALREADY be on your computer (or one you have access to)? Just point Google drive to that folder and your data is synced.

Show me another service that does a direct import of IMAP data from another service. The only way I've ever found to sync IMAP profiles is using a client and draggin/dropping between the two, or some clunky scripts that does it (imapsync).

But something tells me you already know this all of this, didn't you?

Strength in Knowledge
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2012, 04:55:04 PM »

Moving files from one cloud into another does exist, of course. Not sure about the other features

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2012, 04:56:18 PM »

Moving files from one cloud into another does exist, of course. Not sure about the other features

Source?

Strength in Knowledge
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2012, 04:56:56 PM »

But something tells me you already know this all of this, didn't you?
I totally did.

All I was saying was: Once you put "everything" on Google, you have to keep two things in mind:

1. It will take you a lot of effort to migrate elsewhere.
2. You are no longer in control of your data.

(3. People like me will not read your e-mail when you use Google Mail because of privacy concerns.)

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2012, 04:57:09 PM »

Source?
Human logic.

- @VeryGrumpyCat
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2012, 05:11:11 PM »

I was more referring to a source where one service provider provides for direct import of data from another service (cloud storage, or IMAP, as you called out), besides simply pointing the client to the data already on your computer, as I suggested. And again, I think you knew this. I do not like claims without some source of proof.

If you knew these answers, and your point was what you stated two posts back, why did you not state that up front? I can see what data Google has about me and modify (to include deleting) said data in any of the Google products.

Strength in Knowledge
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2012, 05:18:45 PM »

So you do know what data about you Google is giving to its advertising partners? Where can you see that?

I was more referring to a source where one service provider provides for direct import of data from another service
Moving files on a cloud is usually happening over your hard disk anyway, right?

- @VeryGrumpyCat
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2012, 05:21:12 PM »

I think I'm going to adopt a policy of not replying to one line "comeback" posts - like this one I just posted for example. Wink Cool Grin

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2012, 05:30:56 PM »

smiley
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:05:39 PM by 40hz » Logged

Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2012, 05:31:36 PM »

You failed, sir.

- @VeryGrumpyCat
tosim
Supporting Member

« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2012, 04:09:58 PM »

Just to put in my two cents worth. I have a small computer repair business and consider myself as pretty well qualified in Windows. Toyed very slightly with various Linux distros over past 10 years and didn't care for any. However, about 5 months ago, I d/l and played with a Live cd of Linux13-MATE. I liked it so much that I am now dual booting it on all my machines, and tend to use it 95% of the time. IMHO it has Windows all beat. Incidentally, I turned 78 today. I highly recommend Linux Mint, any version.
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2012, 04:17:10 PM »

Incidentally, I turned 78 today.

Happy Birthday!

(sorry - I dont know anything about linux, so I dont have any other comment)

Tom
40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2012, 06:00:14 PM »

Incidentally, I turned 78 today.

Happy Birthday!

(sorry - I dont know anything about linux, so I dont have any other comment)

Happy Birthday! Thmbsup

I know a bit about Linux and I'm glad Mint is working out so well for you. That's pretty much the outcome I've seen with virtually everybody I recommended it to who gave it a genuine try.

Seriously, I still can't see why so many people think Linux is such a big deal. It's very Windows-like. And most of the hassles that used to go with using it are now ancient history.
 Cool

Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2012, 06:05:26 PM »

It's very Windows-like.
If you are doing it wrong, it is. And most people do it wrong.

- @VeryGrumpyCat
Ath
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2012, 06:05:54 PM »

And most of the hassles that used to go with using it are now ancient history.
Most issue-stuff used to be hardware/driver related, and the formerly somewhat awkward setup procedure, that's now fully handled in GUI-mode instead of Character-mode, so much more end-user friendly, and driver-support is excellent these days. thumbs up

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.04s | Server load: 0.02 ]