ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What went wrong with Linux on the Desktop

<< < (18/29) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I had BSODs on my nforce4 motherboard when trying to use nvidia's "hardware" firewall (which was a retarted piece of crap, requiring a full install of an apache httpd in order to manage settings locally... :rolleyes: ), and I've had BSODs from third-party firewall, VPN and antivirus products. Some of these seem to show winsock as the problem, but that's only if you look just at the top-level driver in the BSOD, not if you study the actual minidump with WinDbg. Also, I've never had filesystme or registry corruption from any of these "normal" BSODs. Got more information on the issue?-f0dder (September 06, 2012, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not BSOD due to reg but was because of the theme patching and shell related changes. In case of reg issues, most of them were related to the WINSOCK and other network related issues. I can't specifically point to the issue because I used to patch that using the reg fix for Winsock. Without that fix, It was hard to connect to the net. I am not sure if it was because of driver issue or say some malware? For some reason system was not usable without those reg fixes (most of them were released by MVPs), I hope you remember XP days with regular fixing of broken stuff.-mahesh2k (September 06, 2012, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Only time I ever saw WINSOCK get borked was usually due to an orphaned LSP from either a virus or babysitter security suite (mostly the 2nd one). Either way the fix has always been the same netsh reset winsock ... I don't ever recall using a reg patch for it.

f0dder:
Not BSOD due to reg but was because of the theme patching and shell related changes. In case of reg issues, most of them were related to the WINSOCK and other network related issues. I can't specifically point to the issue because I used to patch that using the reg fix for Winsock. Without that fix, It was hard to connect to the net. I am not sure if it was because of driver issue or say some malware? For some reason system was not usable without those reg fixes (most of them were released by MVPs),-mahesh2k (September 06, 2012, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
Are you talking about registry changes, or the TCPIP.SYS patch to increase the maximum half-open connections (which was recommended for p2p uses)? There's a big difference. I've never heard about winsock registry fixes (apart from malware related crap), but I did use TCPIP.SYS patching back in the XP days. Stupid blind patching (that didn't check for correction version) could nuke your driver, which could definitely end up causing BSODs eventually.

I hope you remember XP days with regular fixing of broken stuff.-mahesh2k (September 06, 2012, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not really, no. Didn't have a lot of problems that weren't caused by 3rd party software, and while there have been a fair amount of security holes in Windows, I'm not complaining that Microsoft have actually been patching them :-)

Sure you didn't use some dodgy software to patch uxtheme, which installed malware on your machine? I've had it patched on XP, XP64, Vista64 and Win7-64 without trouble. It would be a very weird cause of BSODs, since it's a usermode DLL.-f0dder
--- End quote ---
No. I used to play with TGTSoft's uxtheme.dll which was released by them for community. StyleXP isn't alive anymore but I am sure  their community themexp.org still has that uxtheme.dll for patching the shell. Without this it was not possible to change themes freely on XP at that time. Had BSOD during these changes.-mahesh2k (September 06, 2012, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
Can't remember which uxtheme patch I specifically used, nor whether it was a patcher or a full .dll download (but I'd definitely suspicious about a full .dll). Again, it would be highly unusual for usermode software to cause BSODs.

I'm still not convinced that anything you've put forth stems from problems with the registry or Windows in general - it does sound more and more like there could be some dodgy 3rd-party software involved, though (and by that, I include not just various OS patches, but potentially also drivers, antivirus programs, firewalls, et cetera).

Stoic Joker:
For some reason installers for .NET applications have a tendency to (occasionally) replace key .NET framework files as part of the install routine. There is an XML patch that I've had to reinstall over 30 times in the past year ... Simply because the EMR software that several of our clients use insists on "updating" (e.g. borking) this particular patch every time they do an update.-Stoic Joker (September 06, 2012, 11:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
Annoying. "xcopy" installs, or custom installers? MSI based installers are at least supposed to make sure that doesn't happen (but I still loathe their insanely slow speed).-f0dder (September 06, 2012, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hm... Maybe I'm off in the weeds on the .NET aspect, but I do seem to recall reading about the behavior while researching this (apparently other) issue with KB954430/ AmazingCharts causing the XML patch to fall off constantly.

TaoPhoenix:
Going way up to a sky high view of the topic, I'll start a new subthread about Linux on the Desktop based on China. You know how "everything" (materially) is made in China? (I know, there's new countries in the game now, but Made in China has the ring you know what I mean.) By now they're past 50 cent party favors, they basically make everything - but with a curious flaw.

We don't yet recognize them as "tech innovators". Why not? (Elsewhere I've seen some articles that their culture somehow discourages it, but that's another day.) Trying not to go stereotypical, China was the original "Cheap Copy". So since Linux is ... wait for it ... Cheaper Than Cheap, with an open license to copy it, why haven't the Chinese pulverized the tech world with The Good Enough Linux Distro that makes everyone else react? (A medium-range problem is that China has gotten hooked with building sneaky back doors to everything, yuck.) Just do it Old School China style. Make a $200 computer with a medium-carefully tweaked Linux Distro, and just flood the market. (And that was what made old China style adorable, they "only medium tweaked" stuff, leading to amusingly-flawed-but-I-still-bought-it-because-it-was-cheap stuff.)

Since we're in daydreaming, they'd make a hybrid new OS, and hit a sweet spot when what was in fact cutting corners on design turns out to be the "Simple OS" that "Mainstream America/Europe" likes. (Maybe only desktop + 2 level deep folders, a simple System Settings set, their own copy of something like LibreOffice and Firefox but having actually fixed all known bug reports, and say like five more amazing darkhorse killer apps no one even knew were possible. They'd contact each of say 500 software vendors and provide a software port free of charge. (Good ol' China-Copying!)

It has just enough extensibility for the techies with plugins, "easy" for the masses, runs everything because they did the ports, and allowed free OS copies for OEM builders.

THAT might get Linux on the desktop.

40hz:
^What you're describing sounds an awful lot like what Android was originally (supposedly?) intended to do - except you're suggesting it come with a better keyboard and bigger screen. ;D

And yeah...if anybody does build it, it's gonna be China I'm guessing. Probably take it to Mars with them too at the rate they're going. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version