ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What went wrong with Linux on the Desktop

<< < (15/29) > >>

Tuxman:
Ah, that peaceableness.  :-*

I love how you even rumble without me writing anything, young friend.
Could someone please finally remove the personal attacks against me?

40hz:
Ok. I'm out.  :)

f0dder:
Honestly, you don't need crappy windows. I used OSX and Linux and they don't show performance issues like windows. Not even windows 7 solved performance issue problem. More you use windows, less usable it becomes, after you add more data, reg entries and stuff.-mahesh2k (September 05, 2012, 04:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
I personally haven't seen this since I moved away from Win9x. The registry is pretty efficient, definitely a lot more efficient than re-parsing text files all the time :) - the only problems I've seen have been caused by really badly written 3rd party software, and the cause hasn't been "too much data in the registry", it's been "really broken data" (which just coincidentally happened to be located in the registry).

Those who are using Visual studio knows Why I am saying this, because microsoft's own programs make the system unusable.-mahesh2k (September 05, 2012, 04:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've been running every single version (not every edition, of course!) and service pack of Visual Studio from 6 to 2010 SP1, and will soon be installing 2012. I've even been using VS on Win9x. While the first VS.NET version was pretty crappy and unstable, I've never had VS affect my system stability, and never heard of stories like that from friends or co-workers.

On the other hand, OSX based on unix is perfectly fine. Doesn't break or gets crashed with official softwares and upgrades.-mahesh2k (September 05, 2012, 04:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Most of the developers at my current job are on OSX laptops. A bunch of them started cursing some months ago after installing whatever-cat-named-update because their systems got bogged down (disk paging, beach ball icon, and sometime systems so unresponsive they had to hardboot them) - seems like Apple messed up the memory manager, majorly. Not something you'll see if you're just drinking caffè latte and not using your shiny laptop for facebook and hipstagram - but definitely if you're actually using the machine. And should I mention the funny instances where the battery expands somewhat (natural thing to do because of heat), messing up the touchpad? Or the various data-loss incidents there's been in Finder?

Sure, there's some nice things about OSX, and the build quality on some macbooks is better than a lot of non-OSX PCs. But there's plenty of problems as well, and plenty of funny security holes as well :-)

Stoic Joker:
Those who are using Visual studio knows Why I am saying this, because microsoft's own programs make the system unusable.-mahesh2k (September 05, 2012, 04:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've been running every single version (not every edition, of course!) and service pack of Visual Studio from 6 to 2010 SP1, and will soon be installing 2012. I've even been using VS on Win9x. While the first VS.NET version was pretty crappy and unstable, I've never had VS affect my system stability, and never heard of stories like that from friends or co-workers.-f0dder (September 06, 2012, 06:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Same here all the way back to 9x. Hell we've even got one guy that (does legacy stuff) is still doing VB code with VS6, on Windows 8.

jgpaiva:
Most of the developers at my current job are on OSX laptops. A bunch of them started cursing some months ago after installing whatever-cat-named-update because their systems got bogged down (disk paging, beach ball icon, and sometime systems so unresponsive they had to hardboot them) - seems like Apple messed up the memory manager, majorly. Not something you'll see if you're just drinking caffè latte and not using your shiny laptop for facebook and hipstagram - but definitely if you're actually using the machine.
-f0dder (September 06, 2012, 06:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
As someone who has been using OSX for over two years (an imac and a macbook pro), I can confirm this. Memory management in OSX makes no sense, the system is constantly paging stuff even though there's more than enough free memory for everything. Almost every time I leave eclipse open during the night, when I return on the next day and set focus on the window I have to watch the beach ball for a few minutes while it pages back stuff; also, usually it's faster just to kill eclipse and reopen it than wait for it to be paged in again. Also, we have 20+ macs at my workplace, and around 50% of them have had to go back to apple for fixing various stuff; all the 2year+ ones have serious marks all over the screen similar to sunburn, despite the fact that none get direct sunlight.

A related complaint: I see the beach ball at least once a week, apparently for no reason: in this situation usually the memory is half free and the CPU isn't being used at all. Also, I can see more youtube videos at the same time in my girlfriend's phone than on either of my macs (more than one is pushing it). And I can't use this awesome stuff with any of the macs because it's simply too slow (both macs are dual cores with 4gb ram) and the laptop will burn a hole on whatever it is resting on.

Sorry for the rant, but I really could go on forever on why you do not want to buy a mac. The fact that it runs something that looks like unix is awesome, though. (and the touchpads, mice and keyboards are the best invention ever)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version