ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What went wrong with Linux on the Desktop

<< < (13/29) > >>

Tuxman:
You never explained yourself about your views, you pushed your observation.-mahesh2k (September 05, 2012, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oh, my views should be known from what I post.

You just made attacks on people-mahesh2k (September 05, 2012, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
Vice versa.

and presented so called FACTS which are mere observation.-mahesh2k (September 05, 2012, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
Nope, they're facts. Things I don't know for sure are usually stated as a question, like: Why?
(What about an answer instead of arguing with me by the way?)

All of your so-called facts are just your observation. Live with it.-mahesh2k (September 05, 2012, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
So "Linux is always better option" is what, precisely?
Right: just your observation. Live with it.

But don't condemn me for not sharing it.

wraith808:
I am pretty sure I am here because DonationCoder is usually open for technical discussions. I did not know it is against the board rules to question the advantages of Linux and OSX. Sorry, must have read them wrong.
-Tuxman (September 05, 2012, 06:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

As 40hz said- it's the presentation, not the comment.  When you say...

Bullshit. That urban myth is not true anymore since... uhm... Windows Me? Or Windows 98?
Of course a system with a lot of auto-start entries will start slower.

Even Linux.

Now what?
-Tuxman (September 05, 2012, 05:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Most people are going to take that as a bit condescending and thus... flamebait.  If you'd leave it to the arguments rather than adding on the snide finishers (you are pretty good at 'witty' repartee), then I believe that you'd find the audience more receptive to your arguments.

From Debate Ideas and Suggestions:
6. Attack the idea not the person.
16. Smile when disagreeing.
19. Avoid bickering, quarreling, and wrangling.
20. Watch your tone of voice.
22. Keep your perspective - You're just debating.

You need to be very polite when disagreeing with someone in English, even someone you know quite well.
With someone you know very well, you can disagree more directly.

--- End quote ---

Shades:
Well, from my experience with both Windows and Linux on the desktop and on the server, I agree with Tuxman (but only a bit). The servers I run that give me no headache in any kind of way are the ones that run on Linux (Ubuntu server edition (without any graphical shell)). These are fast and very, very reliable. Windows Server is solid, but not nearly as reliable and require a lot more maintenance in comparison with the Linux ones.

All the PC's that were running Linux on their desktop have been phased out. Too problematic (granted, I had to use CentOS 4.0 and 5.0, you should not want to do that to your worst enemy) and for my intends and purposes not cost effective. After some security tweaks the Windows desktop PC's (XP and Win7) I have nearly as solid as Windows Server editions and are way more productive to me (Directory Opus version 9 or 10 is essential to my workflow) than Linux ever was.

The only experience I have with BSD is building a router PC from very old parts I still had laying around (286, 16Mb). It (only) took that PC 3 full days to compile/install BSD. Also very reliable for the six months of "life" the processor still had left in it.

As a one-man-show I could not find the time to continue with the BSD route though. As I already have very high reliability with Linux (and Windows is not doing too bad either) I could not  
find sufficient reason to get more/better acquainted with BSD. Too much differences for too little gain in my case.

My :two:

mahesh2k:
Right: just your observation. Live with it.
--- End quote ---

I am living with it actually. So are you going to stop attacking me and others on every linux thread for our opinion with your so-called FACTS and BSD lurve? That would be good for DC's forum peace.

Tuxman:
Less attacking and more answering my questions ("Why?") would be good for the forum peace too, pal.

Shades: Tried PC-BSD?  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version