ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What went wrong with Linux on the Desktop

<< < (8/29) > >>

wraith808:
Oh, I'm sorry, that used to be called Shareware except now you don't get to try it for free!
-TaoPhoenix (August 30, 2012, 03:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

A little different from shareware in the classical sense if you stick to what apps represented to get Apple to the place that it is.  The whole thing has been a bit muddled, but the two come from different places and different thought processes.

Most shareware is meant to build something- where the concept of Apps is meant to be the latest cash in scheme.  "I'll make a .99 app and sell a million copies and retire"

mahesh2k:
"working jobs we hate so we can buy sh!t we don't need"
--- End quote ---
This. Thanks fodder. :)

If anyone has kept up with current trends in development, you know that the "open web" is a complete joke.
--- End quote ---

True. This is the reason I always check the license of the library before using it. If it's not GPL, MIT or Mozilla or Apache, it's going to be something fishy.

Agree on apps being webpages. App stores are overflowing with the apps for websites. I wonder how come people are not just using RSS readers instead. Most of the apps made by news or content websites offer nothing more than that.

Renegade:
If it's not GPL, MIT or Mozilla or Apache, it's going to be something fishy.
-mahesh2k (August 31, 2012, 10:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are other good licenses as well. I think my favourite is the WTFPL. ;D

Tuxman:
The WTFPL is a rephrased BSD license, basically. I wonder why people always forget that one.

mahesh2k:
Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License
Author    Sam Hocevar

Copyleft    No
--- End quote ---

;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version