ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What went wrong with Linux on the Desktop

<< < (3/29) > >>

40hz:
Is no one going to mention how MS (and maybe Apple) worked hard to make sure that Windows was the only platform that ran the industrial *enterprise software*?
-TaoPhoenix (August 30, 2012, 03:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm...I guess all those servers and clusters and supercomputers don't count as enterprise... :P

And what "enterprise" product has Apple ever had besides a "me too" server I don't even know if they distribute any more? :huh:

TaoPhoenix:
Hmm...I guess all those servers and clusters and supercomputers don't count as enterprise... :P
And what "enterprise" product has Apple ever had besides a "me too" server I don't even know if they distribute any more? :huh:
-40hz (August 30, 2012, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I meant more of the software package side. We all know that Linux rules for "low level servers". I am talking more about the $XX,000 packages. My own specialty is the construction package Timberline. I've heard the same complaint about high end AutoCad. I plead lack of knowledge if Photoshop Pro has a Linux version yet. I bet SAP doesn't. Or PeopleSoft.

Those guys.

mahesh2k:
I don't pay attention to such moan lisa rants. I personally found no bitter experience on linux for 6 months of full switching. I can't imagine my time with OSX and Windows for 6 months without suckin at all. OSx and Win are crap for me, that's all. :p

TaoPhoenix:
I don't pay attention to such moan lisa rants. I personally found no bitter experience on linux for 6 months of full switching. I can't imagine my time with OSX and Windows for 6 months without suckin at all. OSx and Win are crap for me, that's all. :p
-mahesh2k (August 30, 2012, 03:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Then you rule.
I 50% gave up on Linux because I can only retain tech details for like 3-6 months, maybe a year if I am lucky, and my last company never used them so it became one too many projects to keep in my feeble head. :/

40hz:
I am talking more about the $XX,000 packages. My own specialty is the construction package Timberline. I've heard the same complaint about high end AutoCad. I plead lack of knowledge if Photoshop Pro has a Linux version yet. I bet SAP doesn't. Or PeopleSoft.
-TaoPhoenix (August 30, 2012, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah! Sorry. I mostly do the "plumbing" end of the business so I don't make it down to userland too much.

But you may have a point in that BSD (and later Linux/GNU) came into existence partly as a rebellion against all those 5-digit financial/business programs. So I guess there is a philosophical semi-aversion to getting too much into that type of development for most FOSS types. However, the CRM market does seem to be fairly busy for the NIX cowboys. And the CGI/MoPic industry is in love with Linux currently. Mostly because it saves them mega.

As far as the vertical app markets, I'm not too up on what's happening there. Most of the industry specific software is moving over to web-based apps so I think the question of which OS to use for that category of software is becoming more and more a moot issue as "open web" is now becoming the new frontier for the old "open source" crowd.

And why not? Seriously, most businesses would prefer not to have to maintain their own infrastructure just to host mission critical applications. Server rooms are noisy and expensive to operate. In-house IT staff and salaries remain a overhead expense even though the average salary has dropped significantly in the last five years. Who really wants to deal with all that if it can be handled with better flexibility and zero-time failover by SaaS providers provided the price and reliability are there? (Competition will make sure it is BTW.)  It's where the industry is going. Mainly because it makes too much sense for too many businesses to do otherwise.

So I guess I'm saying when it comes to enterprise applications, Linux is largely irrelevant. And Windows soon will be. Which is why Microsoft is putting so much effort into it's cloud product line. I'd guess within another 15 years thin clients and a cloud infrastructure will be the norm for most businesses. Which will then lead to that interesting little paradoxical situation where only the largest and the smallest companies will be hosting their own IT. Everybody else will be contracting it out as if it were just another P&E expense like electricity or trash removal.

Gonna be weird. At least for people who used to do what I used to do. :'( ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version