ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What went wrong with Linux on the Desktop

<< < (21/29) > >>

mahesh2k:
Not nitpicking words, but as everyone has said, is genuinely interested.  No one is attempting to attack- it's just that much of what you said is only anecdotal, so the only way to deal with it is to ask you to see how this could have occurred. Everyone here was just trying to help it seems and see things from your perspective- not pick you apart.-wraith808 (September 07, 2012, 06:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
Actually that's not true. If you check the post from where this started, it started as attack and now it is more of intellectually beating based on variety of experience and with nitpicking of words. We are talking about end of lifecycle OS with problems which was patched along the way. It was even hard to find some of the fixes at that time. I can't say anything but - "take my word for that". Google had very less results at that time. Then again, that is not anecdotal and convincing personal experience for you guys, fair enough.

The explanation which was asked from me was beyond my capacity as per my knowledge of fixing at that time and even today(as I am not using that OS anymore). My point is that - "If you don't experience the same set of annoyances with any OS, does that mean they don't exist". I have used all the popular OS and I can't say this at all with my experience. I have said this before and put it this again - that Win had issues with comparison to say X and that's why you can always use that X or Y if you want. I never forced, never asked to switch. In fact my reply to @taophoenix on another linux thread was that it's hard to switch if you're Win app developer. I don't know why the intellectual nitpicking on my post is being done as if I am defending OS X or Linux. I am not. I am just being happy with low bugs and headaches after the switch and that reflects in my posts.

Does that mean I am supposed to give explanation for everything from the core for why win didn't worked for me in the past and people are going to nitpick they wish with wishful attacks that too implying they're not attacks and genuine interest? Tell me how that works.

If you've moved past this and don't really have any way to substantiate it by anything that might be other than anecdotal and unwilling to/ don't want to discuss it just say so.
--- End quote ---

Sure. I did moved past that but you do see the point where most of you people picked up the point of nitpicking words "performance issue" and "unusable", for which I have given explanation. If people don't agree with that shortcoming of the OS and wants to beat on that point implying it was either my mistake or it was 3rd party or AV. How am I supposed to react to that? And saying it's not anecdotal or not even convincing personal experience is more of slap on the face, especially if you have ever gone through same experience like me with those set of problems.

Not changing course, I can add few more bugs. I don't mind. I can stretch if you all want what we are after is intellectually beating with nitpicking. Especially the point " OS X has no security issues" for and similar points which are purely forced on me, assuming I was defending something. I can go on with the bugs which I fixed in past (which is not even my concern anymore as I moved away from Vista and XP) but still if there is going to be nitpicking with the tone-"I never had problem which you had, that means your problem is not because of OS but AV and 3rd party stuff so it's not OS, stop blaming OS" ( despite MS admitting things on their side with KB).

But if you throw out phrases like "Those who are using Visual studio knows Why I am saying this, because microsoft's own programs make the system unusable," or "I hope you remember XP days with regular fixing of broken stuff," that doesn't sound either anecdotal or personal experience, so of course people are going to chime in. 
--- End quote ---

It is my personal experience. Take whatever you want from it. If it doesn't sound anecdotal or if you guys never experienced it regardless of plenty of Google searches on the same issues with solutions (which are far different than the one I used to fix),  then do I still need to assume that people are genuinely interested? Many of you are aware of some of the XP and vista performance annoyances still the tone being forced on me is that - there are no performance issues at all. Now that I have used "Many of you are aware" doesn't sound anecdotal, right? I have to dig plenty of stuff to back that up isn't it? Nitpicking points and beating on that as if I am defending something doesn't sound to me like genuinely interesting tone. It just sounds intellectual beating which is normal on tech forums. It's just that it always goes in loop, which I tried to avoid and for which you assumed changing midstream. That and...

Then if you change course midstream, you can't expect everyone to change course with you so unexpectedly.

--- End quote ---
I am not changing course midstream, I am aware of nitpicking here from the start and I am pointing out that before people keep on assuming something which isnt there.

40hz:
I am not changing course midstream, I am aware of nitpicking here from the start and I am pointing out that before people keep on assuming something which isnt there.
-mahesh2k (September 07, 2012, 07:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe most of this misunderstanding/miscommunication is more a colloquial language issue than anything else?  :)

mahesh2k:
Yes. I guess so. It's not my first language and it's lot harder to express something in less words more clearly.

40hz:
Yes. I guess so. It's not my first language and it's lot harder to express something in less words more clearly.
-mahesh2k (September 07, 2012, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

^My hat is off to you for being bi-lingual and willing to put it use. I have enough trouble speaking the language I grew up with. My own wordiness is often a problem when I post. One for which I have no excuse since American English is my first language. I'd be totally up the creek in a non-English speaking forum. :) :Thmbsup:

kilele:
It' nice to have FOSS operating systems even if only because they are far more trustful (thousand of eyes watching their source code very closely). Amen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version