topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 25, 2024, 6:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ctrl-C Copy to Clipboard Question  (Read 3896 times)

bubbajunk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ctrl-C Copy to Clipboard Question
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:20 AM »
I seem to be having issues copying objects to the clipboard (using Ctrl-C not via the menu). Not sure what I'm doing wrong or inconsistently. I use SC to create screenshots and paste them in-line in emails. Sometimes when I go into Outlook and hit Ctrl-V to paste, the image is inserted into the message text where I pasted it. Other times, the image is not inserted into the text, but rather as an attachment to the email. Not sure if it has to do with whether or not the object is in "object select mode" or not. Anyone else have this issue with copy / paste?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ctrl-C Copy to Clipboard Question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 09:30 AM »
You're encountering a confusion that has come up before.. The problem is that Ctrl+C can do a different thing depending on where you are.

Here's what I think happens, perhaps you can verify:

If you hit Ctrl+C while in the main window, you should copy the IMAGE to the clipboard, and pasting it in your email will paste inline.

BUT if you are in the lefthand thumbnail panel, when you hit Ctrl+C you are copying the FILE to the clipboard, and pasting it will be like dropping a file into your email, as an attachment.

Does that make sense?  I could change it, but there is some logic to the way it works.

So if you want to copy and paste an image inline, it means you have to click in the main window area after selecting an image from the thumbnail panel, or use the Edit->Copy image to clipboard menu item, which should always work.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:35 AM by mouser »

bubbajunk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ctrl-C Copy to Clipboard Question
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 09:07 AM »
That's it. If I click in the capture area before hitting Ctrl-C, I can see that the thumbnail image is no longer highlighted and the image is captured to the clipboard. Then when I hit Ctrl-V, the image is pasted in-line into the email. When the thumbnail image is highlighted and I hit Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V, the file (not the image) is copied to the clipboard.

It makes sense now that you have explained it, but it wasn't obvious at the time that it was happening. Did you see my other post about the shift+delete function? No rush, just wondering what you found.