topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox 15 less of a memory hog  (Read 72073 times)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox 15 less of a memory hog
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2012, 02:00 PM »
I made an uneducated guess about which add-on was slowing down Firefox for me these days, to the extent that I often have to wait minutes for a response from clicking on the tab or scroll bar. I have disabled that addin, and after a few hours of not having any problems, I re-enabled the other add-ins I had disabled. So far so good. I will give it a week and if I still don't have any problems, the add-in gets booted and I will tell you the name of the add-in. I don't want to jump to conclusions prematurely.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2012, 07:46 PM »
Well, I went along and installed Beta 16.0, so we'll see what all that does. I also switched out Ghostery for TrackerBlock, on the theory that even if "less evil", Ghostery is run by an ad company, and hopefully PrivacyChoice.org ... isnt?

So my browser is back to being fast, so we'll see if it stays that way.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2012, 08:42 PM »
Well, I went along and installed Beta 16.0, so we'll see what all that does. I also switched out Ghostery for TrackerBlock, on the theory that even if "less evil", Ghostery is run by an ad company, and hopefully PrivacyChoice.org ... isnt?

How long you been running 16? Is it rock solid?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2012, 08:45 PM »

How long you been running 16? Is it rock solid?

Heh ... about an hour. So I have no basis to report it being rock solid. After all, 15.X was fast when I put it on whatever day that was, so something slowed it down. This time I changed up a few of my plugins.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2012, 09:11 PM »
I just tried installing. No bookmark toolbar. I just didn't want the hassle so I took it off. 14.01 is good enough for the time being.  Chromium is my primary anyway. I mainly bring up FF if the site balks with the multi-media delay(I set chromium to block everything and right click to run video/audio clips etc.. some sites can't handle that hitch in the timing.)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2012, 09:44 PM »
I just tried installing. No bookmark toolbar. I just didn't want the hassle so I took it off. 14.01 is good enough for the time being.  Chromium is my primary anyway. I mainly bring up FF if the site balks with the multi-media delay(I set chromium to block everything and right click to run video/audio clips etc.. some sites can't handle that hitch in the timing.)

I think it's there, View-Toolbars, check on Bookmarks Toolbar.

Maybe it's off by default. I personally don't use/like bookmarks so I have it off for the vertical screen space.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2012, 09:58 PM »
It's checked in View Menu. But even though I have a folder named Bookmarks Toolbar, it doesn't display it. I forget how to get SyncPlaces to download. That fixes all the bookmark stuff in one go. Guess I just didn't have the patience to mess with it.  14 seems good. :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2012, 10:11 AM »

Random tidbit of news: Monster.com is misbehaving since I downloaded the beta. I tried disabling a couple of the add-ons, but I'm not sure what all is going on yet.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2012, 10:35 AM »
There are a few sites using Flash that I cannot keep open without Firefox freezing. Even locks up Windows Explorer. Newegg.com is one; anytime I open a product page Firefox becomes non-responsive. Others have reported the same. Also, at times I can easily view movies, etc. on Amazon's Instant Video library; other times it freezes Firefox completely. Weird...

Thanks!

Jim

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2012, 01:18 PM »
Haven't run into to many Flash issues recently. But YouTube does occasionally lock up FF15. Still.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2012, 03:01 PM »
That is true 40hz!

However, i find i get much less of any problematic issue with Firefox than with Opera (which i would like to prefer).
With regards to memory usage, i don't know about present Firefox Aurora but Opera-Next and Google Chrome are doing a "good" job at using more and more memory. Something that i would have least expected from Opera.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2012, 10:53 PM »
Random tidbit of news: Monster.com is misbehaving since I downloaded the beta. I tried disabling a couple of the add-ons, but I'm not sure what all is going on yet.

Update:
It might be involving history and cookies. I had it set to "never remember history", but maybe Monster.com is really aggressive with history, so that it kept getting shut out.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2012, 10:48 AM »
I see FF 16 went Release Channel today. There's a download link on FileHippo. Don't see one for Portable yet.  I remembered how to fix my bookmarks bar with SyncPlaces(not that it was difficult. I'm just forgetting since I rarely use it.)

I tried installing to a different folder so as not to hose 14.01.  But Speed dial can't find images. I'm reluctant to overwrite 14.01 until I get an indication 16 is not flaky. :)