ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 15 less of a memory hog

<< < (19/28) > >>

rgdot:
The thing about NoScript is the need to white list, I find white list useless in this sense. Look at the description of the plugin

It allows JavaScript, Java and other executable content to run only from trusted domains of your choice
--- End quote ---

My trusted domains are what exactly? Just because I like and trust a site doesn't mean the site can't some day be infected, what am I missing? (Unless one has no white list and let it protect/block every thing)

40hz:
About the only FF extension I'd absolutely call necessary is NoScript - although Ghostery is getting close to what I'd consider a second 'must have.'-40hz (September 08, 2012, 09:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think I'd put AdBlock+ above NoScript - it gets rid of the most nasty (sources of) JavaScript, and ads as well. Security-wise, NS does do a bit more good, though.
-f0dder (September 08, 2012, 09:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree about AdBlock which is the other extension I have always added to any new FF installation. But I held back on calling it essential because of the minor controversy regarding the ethics of blocking ads. And I really didn't want to open up that whole can of worms again. So I figured I'd just leave it up to the individual as to how they want to deal with that. If a 'free' access site has a reasonable ad policy I try, out of respect, not to block their ads - unless they're getting too distracting or obnoxious about it.

In general, I tend  to install add-ons only to enhance security rather than add features. Nowadays I'm like Renegade in that I need to be shown some clear and compelling benefit before I'll even consider installing anything new inside a browser. Ghostery is probably the first  addition to my add-on collection in the last two years.

40hz:
I always install these addons on FF

adblock, flashblock, quickjava, browser protect
scrapbook, session manager
download status bar, download helper
swiffout
qtl15

I'll check out Ghostery,
some recommendation for a rss reader ?
-kilele (September 08, 2012, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been generally happy with Sage, although it is very basic in what it does and has some minor quirks that drive some people crazy. If super-basic is what you're looking for, Sage will do it for you. I can't say there's any standalone reader I really like although GreatNews portable comes closest to what I'd use if I didn't have Sage.

40hz:
The thing about NoScript is the need to white list, I find white list useless in this sense. Look at the description of the plugin

It allows JavaScript, Java and other executable content to run only from trusted domains of your choice
--- End quote ---

My trusted domains are what exactly? Just because I like and trust a site doesn't mean the site can't some day be infected, what am I missing? (Unless one has no white list and let it protect/block every thing)
-rgdot (September 08, 2012, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW I rarely ever whitelist anything in NoScript for exactly that reason. I just temporarily enable some or all of a site when I web over to it, and then disable any temporary permissions when I leave. True, it's extra steps, and a small inconvenience when browsing. But the added security and "no bad surprises" aspect is worth it to me.

Of course, if you're more the "50+ open tabs power-user" type, my dumbass approach won't work for you. ;D

kilele:
I agree about AdBlock which is the other extension I have always added to any new FF installation. But I held back on calling it essential because of the minor controversy regarding the ethics of blocking ads.
-40hz (September 08, 2012, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

well AdBlock allows the user to disable blocking ads on any site of his preference, for example I permit ads on some wikis of indy developers, but you are right as for most people install it and then forget it but we are recommending their use because it isn't installed by default (that'd be a scandal) and because most users ain't e-junkies :)

Actually I've been using Newsfox lately but I miss some type of synchronization between different machines.
I should try Google's reader again to see if it's more usable, I'll give Sage a try as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version