ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 15 less of a memory hog

<< < (15/28) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

And...I just now noticed that although I'm doing nothing but typing this post, FF is suddenly using 255Mb and climbing up slowly. And...it just dropped back to 205. Guess that could be called a spike?

-40hz (September 04, 2012, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi 40hz, that is the same / similar spike I kept having, you'd think a simple type keypress or a scroll wouldn't jam your resources. (I wasn't checking memory, I focused on CPU spikes but same category.) So I presume you have installed the new FF15 and this is there? Funny thing, my CPU spikes went away when I installed that, though it COULD have been disabling a random plugin or two at the same time, hard to know.

But for a different type of spike, this time on app close, I ran one of the "derivatives" of FF. (First PaleMoon, then Cometbird). Those magically "fixed" that particular spike for "reasons unknown". So if you like FF conceptually but have these "mystery issues" (see my sig, that's where it came from, on a different app), try a FF derivative just for giggles and report in.

40hz:
So if you like FF conceptually but have these "mystery issues" (see my sig, that's where it came from, on a different app), try a FF derivative just for giggles and report in.
-TaoPhoenix (September 04, 2012, 07:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm willing to try anything to get a handle on what's happening here. I'm familiar w/PaleMoon and have used it before. I'll give that a try first.

Thx for the suggestion. :Thmbsup:

UPDATE: Oops. Nope. Those are Windows only and I'm running on Linux. Oh well. <**sigh*> :)

dantheman:
Sometimes i wonder if Martin of GHacks reads the posts here.
Check out his recent article:
http://www.ghacks.net/2012/09/05/firefox-see-if-increased-memory-consumption-is-caused-by-addons/

update: removing Adblock Plus (ugh!) has decreased memory consumption by half!

IainB:
Reading through these discussion comments just now, I wondered whether the people who had been experiencing FF problems or FF performance issues had tried to adjust the thing's performance via about::config settings.
There's a lot of advice/experience on the internet about tweaking FF performance via the about::config settings, and I have been using it to good effect for years (literally). That could affect scores of things - e.g., like cache size, disc/RAM caching, threads for stream parsing, etc.

Maybe that's why I could never understand why people had FF performance issues in v15 = because my FF settings are peculiar to me, and got that way incrementally over time. It's not like I run FF "Lite" either - the "Dump List" add-on tells me I have 96 items (not all enabled though), so my setup has it's own share of "bloat".     :-[

dantheman:
Very interesting IainB!

Perhaps you can share with us a few of those more prominent ones?
There are many posts on the web. Some i've tried in the past (to no avail).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version